All laptop related queries here!!!

sumitava_b

In the zone
I am having a Dell inspiron 6000 model with a lot of modifications on the default config. Recently I bought it and I am quite satisfied with it. Moreover it is really one hell of a eye-catching machine. With its arctic silver body combined with alpine white and black keys, it is cool to make others envy. I mean it!

My system config is like,
System: Intel Pentium M Processor 730 (1.60 GHz/2MB Cache/533MHz FSB)
Screen: 15.4" XGA widescreen LCD Panel
GPU: 128MB ATI Mobility Radeon X300 Video Card
Memory: 512MB DDR2 SDRAM (2 DIMMs) 533MHz
HD: 80GB Hard Drive
Network Card: Integrated 10/100 Network Card and Modem
Optical Drive: 8x CD/DVD Burner (DVD+/-RW) with double-layer writing capability(NEC)
Battery: 9 cell high capacity lithium ion primary battery (*80Whr)
Carry Case: Dell Deluxe leather Carrying Case
O/S: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition with SP2
Wireless Card: Intel Pro/Wireless 2200 Internal Wireless (802.11 B/G, 54mbps)
Bluetooth Module
Secure Digital Card Reader/Writer

It cost me around 79K after tax. The default config for this model comes at 58K.

cia
Sumit

a_medico

Chillum Baba
hey guys....it was worth waiting...i was planning to buy a basic cheapest dell model available in india... then i decided to get it from US

Model - Dell Inspiron 700m

Basic price in india - Rs 65,000 (with taxes and all)

Upgraded to config which i have right now - Rs 85,000 to 1 lakh (plz correct me if i am wrong)

I got it for - Rs 47000 ( no hidden price ..thats flat rate...) oh did i say i got a printer free? but my frns dad who carried it dumped it there vonly !! anyway m more than happy with just my 700m .... its phenomenal !!! it has changed my life and its just been 2 days !! i have taken a post sale service risk tho !! thats subjective....

i've added the config to my signature..best part is the 12" screen/1 GB RAM/DVD Writer/8 Cell Battery

a_medico

sumitava_b

In the zone
@esumitkumar: If u have gone through this entire thread, u can get some points about laptops. Please do specify ur particular requirements and budgets clearly. :roll: :roll: Nothing is best until and unless it meets ur requirements. Mention if there is anything special you need to be in ur lappie, like wi-fi or long battery life or monsterous speed.

Any way, an overall idea may be given. If u r going for cheapest lappie, Acer is the company. But remember, in cheap region (around 30-35K) u wont get centrino i.e. no wi-fi. U will get celeron, turion, sempron. If celeron is ok for u, the best bet is acer travelmate2355.

Acer TM 2355NLC: Mobile Intel Celeron-M Processor 360 @ 1.4GHz, 1MB L2 Cache, 400MHz FSB, 256MB DDR RAM, 40GB HDD, 24x CDRW+DVD Combo Drive, 15 inch TFT, LAN, 56K Fax/Modem, 3 USB Ports, Linux OS, 1 year standard ITW (including battery). (Additional Charges for Freight, handling and Carrybag for TM 2355NLC model applicable)
Price : Rs. 30999/-

For centrino platform, u have to go beyond 40K. :p :D Then u can go for compaq, IBM or Dell too.

cia
Sumit

PS: Post-service is a critical aspect for new lappie. So do check the local muggle :wink: representative of the company u will be going for.

esumitkumar

Call me Sumit
Acer TM 2355NLC: Mobile Intel Celeron-M Processor 360 @ 1.4GHz, 1MB L2 Cache, 400MHz FSB, 256MB DDR RAM, 40GB HDD, 24x CDRW+DVD Combo Drive, 15 inch TFT, LAN, 56K Fax/Modem, 3 USB Ports, Linux OS, 1 year standard ITW (including battery). (Additional Charges for Freight, handling and Carrybag for TM 2355NLC model applicable)
Price : Rs. 30999/-

Thanks Sumitava.................. but Linux OS :x a big NO NO........Can i have windows XP ?
Can I change this 24x CDRW+ DVD to DVD writer ??
Can I change RAM to 512 MB ?
and which latest games it can play ? Any idea

For centrino platform, u have to go beyond 40K

Can you please tell how much and what will be the specs say i spend upto 50K ?

So do check the local muggle Wink representative of the company u will be going for

Hahaha sure thing :lol: :lol: :lol:

magnet

Youngling
sumit..... if u want genuine copy of xp..then add 3k+.......else get linux installed one...and then 4mat and get your xp cd on it..and sav bucks.....

sumitava_b

In the zone
sumit, you are most welcome.

But I think u got my point. If u had mentioned early that u dont want linux, things would have been more effective from my side.

So approximately I can guess that u want a centrino-based lappie with pre-loaded windows. And u r gamer, right? But I fear that u wont get a decent dedicated grafix card in ur budget. Anyway, integrated GMA is not at all bad for all games except those hungry ones like Doom3, far cry, cronicle of riddick etc. I have seen people playing all sorts of graphix-loaded games with the integrated one, obviously at lower resolution.

If u want DVD writer and 512 ram, my suggestion is that get a normal system which is coming at around 45K and ask the manufacturer to upgrade the optical drive and RAM. That way u will save some bucks bcoz lappie with DVD writer by default comes in high-budget range.

Keeping in mind ur gaming requirements, I would suggest Compaq Presario M2224AP.

Compaq Presario M2224AP:
Processor: Intel Pentium-M 725A @ 1.6GHz
Chipset: Intel 915 GM Chipset
Operating System: Win XP Home
Cache: 2MB L2 Cache
Memory: 256MB DDR SDRAM
Hard Disk Drive: 40GB HDD SATA
Optical Drive: 24X CDRW-DVD Combo
Display: Intel graphics media accelerator (GMA) 900 / Up to 64MB DVMT 3.0
Video: 15" XGA TFT Display/ Brightview Displa
Speakers: Altec Speakers / 6-in-1 Digital Media Reader
Modem : 56K Modem
Network Card: NIC, Integrated 802.11b/g Wireless LAN
Others: Integrated Bluetooth,TouchPad / S-Video TV Out / IEEE 1394
Battery (backup): 6-cell LiIon Battery

It has got 15" screen, altec lansing speakerand Bluetooth at around 47K. May be, u can find even lower price bcoz in today's scenario, no price quoting is safe for more than one months!! :) :) :wink:

cia
Sumit

esumitkumar

Call me Sumit
Thanksssssss Sumitava...........

But can u tell from where can i check the price +

Does this lappi have slot for AGP 8x card ??

Plus kya assembled lappi bhi banta hai NP, Delhi main ??

magnet

Youngling
sumita.... why is compaq so cheap comparing the amd turion..???its centrno na????also can u place a pict of your system

sumitava_b

In the zone
@Magnet: A little correction needed, I am mentioning my name in my post. You can please check that. And I am confused about "pict of your system". I dont own that compaq one. In fact I am having a dell lappy.

For the image of the compaq model, u can visit *www.notebookbazaar.com/details.asp?item=366

@esumit: For the latest price, the best u can do is to search for the number of ur nearest dealer and call them up bcoz even in site, they dont always mention the price and if it is mentioned there is no guarranty that it is the latest one.

For the AGP slot and all other bits n pieces, u can visit the HP site and see the things in details. Then u will have a clear idea of possible upgradations too.
*whp-sp-orig.extweb.hp.com/country/in/en/prodserv.html

esumit, my genuine suggestion is that never go for an assembled laptop. Laptop is not that much sturdy like a desktop. Due to its weak build and unprotected components like, keyboard, laptops are very much susceptible to damage and we need technical support for them. In branded lappy only, u will get a good support.

Lastly, the turion issue. With AMD's recent release of its Turion processor, Intel's mobile market faces its first real challenge since it introduced the Centrino platform. Based on AMD's powerful Athlon 64 line, the Turion 64 mobile processor claims to offer comparable battery life and even better performance than Intel's Pentium M champion. So definiely Intel is waging a price-war against Turion. Honestly speaking, turion is still a new baby in indian market. As far as my knowledge is concerned, till now, only Acer has launched a model based on turion64. I think it is aspire 5000. You can surely check that one for a test.

Hope this will help u both.

cia
Sumit

magnet

Youngling
yup also i hav heard amd comin up with ddr2 this jan 4 turion to improv batt life.....but i still hav doubt whether it offers wifi capabilities or not..can somone guide me with this???

esumitkumar

Call me Sumit
Anyway, integrated GMA is not at all bad for all games except those hungry ones like Doom3, far cry, cronicle of riddick etc. I have seen people playing all sorts of graphix-loaded games with the integrated one, obviously at lower resolution.

So

1. can I play Prince of Persia : Sands of Time ,
Resident Evil 4, Thief III etc etc ??

2. This lappi has slot or not so that if i wanna buy AGP/PCi can i buy and insert in 915 GM motherboard

3. I checked notebook bazaar.com and found Compaq Presario M2201TU same with Compaq Presario M2224AP with only diff of linux....but in M2224AP , display is written Intel graphics media accelerator (GMA) 900 / Up to 64MB DVMT 3.0 while in Compaq Presario M2201TU it is only Intel graphics media accelerator (GMA) 900................??? So is it wise to buy that linux walla and install ur own copy of XP ;) that is saving 5000 bucks

Very much thanks for my so many qs answering !!

esumitkumar

Call me Sumit
Hey...I found this lappi awesome plz comment

HP Compaq nx6125 AMD Turion 64 / 15 XGA TFT / 512MB RAM / 60GB HDD / DVD+/-RW / 802.11b/g / XP Pro / Notebook PC

*www.misco.co.uk/productinformation/~101892~/product.htm

merawalaid

Broken In
i want to buy a laptop with the following configuration within a price range of Rs 50,000- Rs 60,000.
so if you know of any good model by a good company (Acer/HP/etc) avialble IN INDIA plz respond

Processor : Intel pentium M 1.6 Ghz or more running at 533mhz fsb
RAM : 512mb or upgradeable to 512 mb RAM (will prefer DDR2@533mhz)
Graphics card :will settle for default intel IGP 900 but better if it is some thing more powerful
Harddisk : Minimum 40 Gb
Optical drive : minimum DVD/CDRW combo
Display : will prefer a wide screen display as it going to be my desktop replacement and , i will use it to watch movies and a few occisonal games.

Also i would like to know how does Intel M 1.6ghz(533fsb) compare with AMD Turion 64 2800

Is there any site where i can get the prices of the HP note books.
i saw the link of www.notebookbazaar.com but it only lists the HP copmpaq presario models
i would like know the street prices of HP nx6130 etc

merawalaid

Broken In
i found one place for detailed HP laptop configurations
i mean Really Detailed

url:
Code:
*h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/ProductBulletin.html

alas it has got no price list ! :(

merawalaid

Broken In
All students out buying laptops, here is some great news.
Acer is giving Rs 2,000/- discount to students on these two models.
Acer Aspire 5002 - Rs 48,500(pre discount)
Acer TravelMate 4152 - 48,000 (pre discount)

(The discount is being handeled by Acer and not the dealers so , u'll have to pay full price and then send ur discount request with proper id and papers to acer , which will then refund ur Rs 2,000)

and also one neat trick, usually the sales tax in most states is around 4.2% of the list price.
It seems you can beat that by paying acer direct (not via some dealer) by a credit card , in this case sales tax is only 1.2% , so a cool 3% off. for a laptop of Rs 50,000 u save Rs 1,500.

and also look out, Acer charges Rs 2,500 extra from the list price for carrybag, fright and handeling wich is NOT OPTIONAL.

both laptops have only 256mb ram so u have to sell out additional Rs 3000 (fr DDR) or Rs 3,900 (fr DDR2) to upgrade it to 512mb.

rollcage

AMD user for 9 yrs!!
Hi Guys..

This going to be the second laptop for my friend
He already has Sony Viao,

1.7Gz wi-fi, Dvd-writer, has almost everything but its not a widescreen one
So, reply accordingly

Which one

Dell
Compaq
HP
IBM

-->Have to take a cheaper one .. to be used by him and
majorly by others .. who dont use computer at all.

-->I mean ..The requirement is not for gaming and programming
Just a simple Laptop for marketing use & data transfer

Whats your take on those sub 30K lapies

There has been a advertisement from compaq for the same

I have IBM THINKPAD R51 centrino 1.5Gz Laptop
I have the idea about the centrino lapies, but not
of the cheaper Celron or Amd based

I am not following the market currently,
So plz help
budget is minimum since its a second laptop(around 30k)
The point he is mentioning is a cheaper & sturdy laptop

Plz. reply fast
Have to take in few days only!

Top Bottom