Airtel 4G plans and tariff - a big JOKE ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ricky

Cyborg Agent
So, Airtel just launched their 4G services in whole India . Do you feel excited, well you must be as now 4G will be available in major cities around the country courtesy Bharti Airtel which is the largest telecom provider by number of users in India. Ofcourse we will soon see Reliance Jio launching pan India 4G services on even a bigger scale but today its talk about Airtel 4G.

However, I am little confused about this launch, what is the reason to launch 4G when you can't take advantage of it at all. From the pricing and practical life usage of 4G, nothing above makes sense.

Example 1 :
Lets consider this simple case, you are a regular youtube watcher and since you have 4G LTE which can theoretically provide download speed upto 100mbps , lets assume , you are receiving at least 50mbps downstream speeds. So, to use your 4G LTE connection, you purchased Airtel home 4G router which can connect upto 32 devices at home using WIFI network.

Now, on your smart TV or even on your PC, you are watching Youtube video in HD mode ie. 720p resolution, if you check your bandwidth usage or in simple terms .. check your download speed, its about 3mbps while you watch HD video from youtube. So far, so good because you have around 50mbps download link, while you need only 3mbps.

Now lets do some simple calculations, well, you watched a 30 minute HD video on youtube, do you know how much data you will use ?

If taking 3mbps average, by 30 minutes you will use around 730mb of data approximately. It means, if you buy Rs. 7995 per month plan which provides 160GB of monthly transfer, then only you can do some sustainable video stream over the internet. Now lets say, you have 3 to 4 members in family, everyone is making 1 hours daily youtube usage then it will be minimum 4GB a day (an approximate), it means you will exhaust 120GB data in a month. This is I am calculating on lower side, what about other stuff, like Facebook, emails, regular surfing etc ?

Example 2:
Now consider another case, say I am a gamer and I play DOTA 2 over steam which is quite popular and nice game, initial download size of the game is about 6-10 GB and also there are regular update of 300mb -500 mb and sometimes even bigger. Then also love to play Titanfall which takes around 45 GB space in my hdd, battlefield which also eats around 35 GB space inside my computer and it all comes via download from Internet. So unless you are a rich gamer, you can manage to go away with their 100GB or 160GB plan otherwise they don't even think about 4G.

There could be many more example .However, from common layman's perspective, I don't see why Airtel is even investing on 4G network, they think that average Indian internet user is earning 100K per month so that he / she may not mind spending more than 5K on internet. They do have cheaper plan but on 4G LTE, they are nothing more than a JOKE. What if Reliance Jio comes with cheaper plans, they already give cues their data pricing which could be atleast half of current 3G data prices.

I hope someone from Airtel reads things and think about their pricing once again.

Taken from : Airtel 4G data plans for Dongle and 4G home routers - a BIG joke

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Airtel itself is a big joke as far as pricing is considered.

2 GB 2G data for 30 days used to cost Rs 98. Now the rate's been tripled(?) I think.

Cyberghost

Federal Agent Area 51
Staff member
4G and 3G speed depends on the number of people using on a tower. If more people continuously use the same tower for internet we'll get less speed so most companies don't offer unlimited internet or big data cap for wireless connections. Mobile internet are suited for travelers not for regular users. If you want to watch youtube or play games use a wired broadband connection.

tkin

Back to school!!
Bleh, with a pricing like that Airtel can forget home users. My 3g connection is fast enough, I don't do anything with my mobile that require a speed as high as 100mbps(though going by Airtel standards the 4G speed would be around 50mbps max). Vodafone 3g gives me sustainable 8mbps+ speeds in office, and 10mbps+ in home, which is more than enough for me.

Seriously, why would someone require a 100mbps speed apart from Streaming videos? And that would pretty much require an unlimited bandwidth.

- - - Updated - - -

4G and 3G speed depends on the number of people using on a tower. If more people continuously use the same tower for internet we'll get less speed so most companies don't offer unlimited internet or big data cap for wireless connections. Mobile internet are suited for travelers not for regular users. If you want to watch youtube or play games use a wired broadband connection.
I don't think Airtel is targeting mobile users only, they are doing a lot of campaigns in Kolkata about their 4G wi-fi connection for home users. In fact one would think that Airtel only provides non-mobile connections(like MTS) if they saw the advertisements here.

tanmaymohan

Geek v1.0
A single Speedtest takes up 70mb and a small music video 1080p took more than 80mb. We need more cheap plans rather than speed

OP
Ricky

Ricky

Cyborg Agent
Bleh, with a pricing like that Airtel can forget home users. My 3g connection is fast enough, I don't do anything with my mobile that require a speed as high as 100mbps(though going by Airtel standards the 4G speed would be around 50mbps max). Vodafone 3g gives me sustainable 8mbps+ speeds in office, and 10mbps+ in home, which is more than enough for me.

Seriously, why would someone require a 100mbps speed apart from Streaming videos? And that would pretty much require an unlimited bandwidth.

That is the thing, what is all this hype about, I can't imagine anyone on move doing so much data intensive work (lets consider its targeted to user on move), may be media guys can use it for streaming but again its hell lot of costly unless money doesn't matter for you.

- - - Updated - - -

You are true, but WIRED connections in India is still not that widely available, I just met a friend yesterday who has no wired option in his area yet that area is so populated and mostly big institutions. They are all are relying on WIRELESS internet, big guys are using their own big WIFI receivers and smaller guys are using 3G dongles from Docomo and MTS.

You know, for me 3G internet is cheaper than BSNL broadband and its my primary internet connection while wired BB serves as backup. And if I ever need to switch to wired BB, it feels so slow because I generally get an average of 4+ mbps with my 3G.

tkin

Back to school!!
A single Speedtest takes up 70mb and a small music video 1080p took more than 80mb. We need more cheap plans rather than speed
Should take higher, I just did a speedtest @ 8mbps 3g and data transfer was 15MB. So if 4G is 100mps then you are looking south of 180MB. That's 36/- as per Airtel 3GB baseline tariff :p

OP
Ricky

Ricky

Cyborg Agent
I just want add that now a days local internet provider are also going cheaper, I have a guy, for Rs. 1100, provides 4mbps unlimited, only catch is that sometimes they are not reliable but still you have peace of mind that you won't run out of data ever :p

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
is anyone actually using 4G for gaming?

you mentioned online gaming with Titanfall, an FPS.

how is the ping to different servers outside india??

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member

I use it when my main line goes down to play BF3/4 , pings are ok

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ

I use Airtel 4G dongle.

Pings to Singapore are 50+ & China are ~130+

But god damn its expensive. I'm using 25GB plan @₹1950 :|

But at least its very reliable than Cuber's broadband , he gets disconnected more often :))

kg11sgbg

Indian Railways - The Vibrant and Moving INDIA
I just want add that now a days local internet provider are also going cheaper, I have a guy, for Rs. 1100, provides 4mbps unlimited, only catch is that sometimes they are not reliable but still you have peace of mind that you won't run out of data ever :p

Name the network service provider.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
But at least its very reliable than Cuber's broadband , he gets disconnected more often :))

FFFUUUUU!!! :mad: Now my connection is stable. only time it goes disconnected is when the line gets cut by local cable wallas.

tanmaymohan

Geek v1.0
Should take higher, I just did a speedtest @ 8mbps 3g and data transfer was 15MB. So if 4G is 100mps then you are looking south of 180MB. That's 36/- as per Airtel 3GB baseline tariff
Haha nice find

I was getting about 19-20mbps in starting and 30mbps in market area

I used to start the speedtest and stop it just to show off to friends .

tanmaymohan

Geek v1.0

Checked pings to csgo Indian server : 59ms

Singapore and Hong Kong : 110-140

Almost same as my bb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom