Suggestions for a Mid Tower Gaming Case and a 650W PSU

ezio16

Journeyman
Hi,

I got a second hand PC recently and need to shift it to a new Mid Tower Gaming case and a good PSU (>650W).

1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans: Gaming, normal browsing and FHD Videos.
Some Games: Assasins Creed series (Starting with 1 till Syndicate), Prototype 1 & 2, Witcher 3 Wild Hunt, Far Cry 4, GTA V, Need for Speed, Dark Souls, Call of Duty, X-Men Wolverine

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: 7K - 10K

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: Nope

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: Planning for Seagate Barracuda 3 TB apart from the SSD available for Booting after a while

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: Already have Samsung S23B370 23" FHD Monitor

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: Samsung S23B370 Monitor 23" FHD,
Intel Core - i7 6700,
Mini-ITX Gigabyte Z170N-WIFI-CF Rev 1.0,
HyperX DDR4 RAM 8 GB 2133 MHZ,
250 GB Sandisk SSD and
Logitech keyboard mouse combo

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: This weekend

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: I'll build myself with help from Youtube

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: Planning to buy from Ritchie Street, Chennai this weekend. If that seems more, will buy online provided with good deal

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: For Mid Tower Gaming Case - with Transparent side panel, 2 or 3 LED Fans, Front USB 3.0, good ventilation and max graphics card support (Planning to add GTX 1060 or 1070 after a while)
PSU - Over 650W, Fully Modular or Semi-Modular at least with 5 Yrs warranty or more.
I feel like 650 W would be enough considering I'll add a GTX 1060 or 1070 after a while. Correct me if I need more power.

Thanks in advance.

gta5

Ambassador of Buzz
550 watts is enough ..

right now the best bang for buck PSU is Corsair TX 550M - Rs 6400

Semi modular , Gold , all japanese caps , and has 7 years warranty..

but there is 1 problem , 750 watt version failed in 3.3v transient tests , so you will have to ask from some knowledgeable people about this if this is a big issue or not .. though 3.3v rail is used very less nowadays

Corsair TX750M Transient Response Tests

create a thread on jonnyguru

PC Power Supply Discussion - jonnyGURU Forums

and ask about impact of failed 3.3v transient tests in tomshardware test.. if it is not a big problem then go ahead and buy this.. but First ask before buying..

Reviews -
Corsair TX550M im Test - kompaktes und günstiges Goldnetzteil mit langer Garantiezeit
Обзор блока питания Corsair TX550M (550 Вт, 80 Plus Gold, TX-M Series)
Corsair TX 550M Netzteil im Test

Last edited:
OP
ezio16

ezio16

Journeyman
550 watts is enough ..

right now the best bang for buck PSU is Corsair TX 550M - Rs 6400

Semi modular , Gold , all japanese caps , and has 7 years warranty..

but there is 1 problem , 750 watt version failed in 3.3v transient tests , so you will have to ask from some knowledgeable people about this if this is a big issue or not .. though 3.3v rail is used very less nowadays

Corsair TX750M Transient Response Tests

create a thread on jonnyguru

PC Power Supply Discussion - jonnyGURU Forums

and ask about impact of failed 3.3v transient tests in tomshardware test.. if it is not a big problem then go ahead and buy this.. but First ask before buying..

Reviews -
Corsair TX550M im Test - kompaktes und günstiges Goldnetzteil mit langer Garantiezeit
Обзор блока питания Corsair TX550M (550 Вт, 80 Plus Gold, TX-M Series)
Corsair TX 550M Netzteil im Test

Okay, But I don't want to go less than 650 W as the calculations I did from power supply calculators (From Cooler master, Outervision and powersupply calculator) exceeded 550 W or just near 550 W. So I'd like to go with 650 W or even more than that.
BTW, any suggestions for a case ?

gta5

Ambassador of Buzz
Okay, But I don't want to go less than 650 W as the calculations I did from power supply calculators (From Cooler master, Outervision and powersupply calculator) exceeded 550 W or just near 550 W. So I'd like to go with 650 W or even more than that.
BTW, any suggestions for a case ?

look at power consumption .. these are total system power consumption numbers ..

ZOTAC GTX 1070 AMP! EXTREME 8GB Graphics Card Review - Back2Gaming

ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1070 AMP! Review | Graphics Card | Custom PC Review

The NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 & GTX 1070 Founders Editions Review: Kicking Off the FinFET Generation

if you like you can go with Corsair Tx 650m - Rs 7200 from vedant but do ask about that 3.3v transient tests before buying..

wait somebody else will recommend you a case

Last edited:
OP
ezio16

ezio16

Journeyman
I checked many cases and liked these below.

Buy Cooler Master MasterBox Lite 5 RGB Mid Tower Case - Black (MCW-L5S3-KGNN-02) online best price in india at www.theitdepot.com
Rs. 4999

THERMALTAKE MID TOWER CABINET (ATX) - VIEW 27 WITH TRANSPARENT SIDE PANEL
Rs. 5555

Buy Online | Antec P9 Window Black ATX / Micro ATX Mid Tower Computer Case | Price in India
Rs. 5633

Now got a question in mind. The first option of Cooler Master Box Lite 5 RGB has three LED fans featuring RGB function.
For that RGB fans to function properly, should I have the RGB feature support in the Motherboard ?
Please clarify.

OP
ezio16

ezio16

Journeyman
Masterbox lite 5 has poor airflow.

Get NZXT S340 or Corsair Spec Alpha. Even Spec-04 is good if you are on a tight budget.

How about Antec P9 Bro ?

And is this Corsair Spec Alpha fine?
Buy Corsair Carbide Series Spec-Alpha Mid-Tower Gaming Case Black-Silver (CC-9011084-WW) online best price in india at www.theitdepot.com

Also, for RGB control in case, do I require the RGB support in Motherboard ?

Last edited:

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
How about Antec P9 Bro ?

Also, for RGB control in case, do I require the RGB support in Motherboard ?
Case seems good enough on paper, however going by the design it seems like there is no ventilation in the front. Check that thoroughly before buying it.

Yes, you need RGB controller on the mobo and a software if you want the lights to be synced.

OP
ezio16

ezio16

Journeyman
Case seems good enough on paper, however going by the design it seems like there is no ventilation in the front. Check that thoroughly before buying it.

Yes, you need RGB controller on the mobo and a software if you want the lights to be synced.

Thanks for the clarification on RGB.
Regarding the front ventilation on case, it has removable cover in front and possesses two 120 mm fans as same as NZXT S340.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Thanks for the clarification on RGB.
Regarding the front ventilation on case, it has removable cover in front and possesses two 120 mm fans as same as NZXT S340.
You won't be running the PC with the front cover removed, right?
Front fans won't matter if there is no ventilation, i.e. a mesh or grill like it is in Spec-04 or S340

OP
ezio16

ezio16

Journeyman
You won't be running the PC with the front cover removed, right?
Front fans won't matter if there is no ventilation, i.e. a mesh or grill like it is in Spec-04 or S340

Yes, got that, there was a mesh cover or something like filter to prevent dust and allow air flow after removing front cover.
It's shown here.

Also, any suggestions for a 650 W PSU Bro ?

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Budget -15k

Cooler Master Masterbox 5 -8000,
Seasonic S12II 520w -6500.

SEASONIC 520W POWER SUPPLY W/80+ BRONZE CERTIFICATION (S12II-520) | eBay

OP
ezio16

ezio16

Journeyman
Budget -15k

Cooler Master Masterbox 5 -8000,
Seasonic S12II 520w -6500.

SEASONIC 520W POWER SUPPLY W/80+ BRONZE CERTIFICATION (S12II-520) | eBay

Okay, but I require PSU with more or equal to 650 W. Could you suggest some in that power range ?

OP
ezio16

ezio16

Journeyman
I have planned to order Corsair carbide Spec Alpha (Black / Red color variant)

Checked the prices in THEITDEPOT, MD Computers, Prime abgb, Vedant Computers & THEITWARES.
The least price I could find is at MD Computers for Rs. 5450, but for delivery to Chennai, they are adding Rs. 450 making it around 6 K.
CORSAIR MID TOWER CABINET (ATX) - SPEC-ALPHA BLACK/RED

Other places, Black/Red variant is out of stock.

I can get the White/Red variant for Rs. 5520 at Prime abgb, but I'm afraid I can't keep the white cabinet in whitey condition. Also Rs. 500 for Delivery.
Should I wait for this item to come in stock (Hoping it may come in stock within a week) or just order it bearing the hefty delivery charge ?
Please advise.

OP
ezio16

ezio16

Journeyman
Have ordered Corsair Spec Alpha (Black/Red Variant) for Rs. 5565 from ITDEPOT.

Just can't decide the PSU yet.
Thinking to get Antec Edge series or Corsair RMx series.

Thoughts are welcome for what's best among those ?

gta5

Ambassador of Buzz
if you can go for RMx then that is great, with 10 years warranty.. otherwise if you want to save money then like i mentioned before TX is also great if those 3.3v failed transient tests are not a big deal , so you need to ask first on jonnyguru forums about that.. all other PSU's don't have the same great value as these Corsair TX and RMx in their respective price points

Antec Edge is a rebranded Seasonic S12G but only has 5 years warranty

Corsair RM650x PSU Review

Last edited:
OP
ezio16

ezio16

Journeyman
if you can go for RMx then that is great, with 10 years warranty.. otherwise if you want to save money then like i mentioned before TX is also great if those 3.3v failed transient tests are not a big deal , so you need to ask first on jonnyguru forums about that.. all other PSU's don't have the same great value as these Corsair TX and RMx in their respective price point

Antec Edge is a rebranded Seasonic S12G but only has 5 years warranty
After you mentioned only, I started to go through johny guru forum and read the reviews of RMx series and just liked how good it is. So changed my mind to spend the extra for RMx series.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

gta5

Ambassador of Buzz
After you mentioned only, I started to go through johny guru forum and read the reviews of RMx series and just liked how good it is. So changed my mind to spend the extra for RMx series.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Go for RMx then and forget about PSU for a decade , you also get good after sale services with Corsair

Corsair RM650x PSU Review

OP
ezio16

ezio16

Journeyman
Yeah, planning to go like that only. Don't wanna worry about PSU after RMx.
Checking the availability of RM650x or RM750x. Will get whatever I could get among those and which seems to be VFM.

OP
ezio16

ezio16

Journeyman
Got the Corsair Carbide Spec Alpha cabinet and RM750x power supply yesterday.
But the PSU power cord is with US pin and not with Indian standard pin.
Also the warranty is 7 Yrs only and not 10 yrs.
Would it be like that ?

Top Bottom