Everything typed is in bold in excel

billubakra

Conversation Architect
Hi Guys,

Anything that I type in excel is being typed as bold automatically. I have to manually make it non-bold by pressing ctrl+b or ctrl+2. One more thing say if I press these command keys before typing something, it types in non bold format but as soon as I go to the next cell it becomes bold. I have to let it type in bold and then select that particular cell and execute the non bold command. Everything typed in MS-Word is fine. How to change the same so that everything is not typed in bold automatically?

Thanks

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Perhaps you have set some default Excel template and that is setting your formatting at startup?
Check if there are any Excel template (*.xltx) files in the XLSTART directory in your MS Office directory (Generally something like C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14\XLSTART).

patkim

Cyborg Agent
Do check as suggested by @Desmond David .
Since when did this issue start?
Does it happen in any random cell anywhere or in adjacent cells?
What version of Excel are you using?
Does it happen in any and every sheet (Including old/new) or only select sheets?

OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect
Perhaps you have set some default Excel template and that is setting your formatting at startup?
Check if there are any Excel template (*.xltx) files in the XLSTART directory in your MS Office directory (Generally something like C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14\XLSTART).
I am using MS Office 2007. In C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12 there is no Office07 or Office2007 folder but Office 12. Also there is no file or folder by the name of XLSTART in that location.

Do check as suggested by @Desmond David .
Since when did this issue start? Since the past few weeks
Does it happen in any random cell anywhere or in adjacent cells? In every cell
What version of Excel are you using? MS Office 2007
Does it happen in any and every sheet (Including old/new) or only select sheets?Every sheet, old or new doesn't matter.

Reinstalling should be the last resort guys. Any other help?

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
I am using MS Office 2007. In C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12 there is no Office07 or Office2007 folder but Office 12. Also there is no file or folder by the name of XLSTART in that location.
Check this one as well: C:\Documents and Settings\User_name\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART

patkim

Cyborg Agent
  • Did you install any other software or downloaded and run something from the internet just in case?
  • Do check for any instance of XLSTART folder on your entire system & office install drive (if separate) and look for any template that's set to autoload when excel starts, as already suggested by @Desmond David.
  • Just wondering could there be any chance that some script or malicious code has injected a small macro at the woeksheet_change event to push everything to bold as it's typed. Don't have much experience with macros but when you press ALT + F11 and go to the VBA code do you see anything under code window for sheet or workbook?
  • In 2003 from some menu there used to be repair office option. Do check if something similar exists in 2007 and try to repair office and check if the issue goes away.

OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect
Try this regedit tweak.
Reset all Office 2007 settings to default
Better option is a fresh install.

Check this one as well: C:\Documents and Settings\User_name\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART
That folder is empty

• Did you install any other software or downloaded and run something from the internet just in case? No
  • Do check for any instance of XLSTART folder on your entire system & office install drive (if separate) and look for any template that's set to autoload when excel starts, as already suggested by @Desmond David. Not able to find anything
  • Just wondering could there be any chance that some script or malicious code has injected a small macro at the woeksheet_change event to push everything to bold as it's typed. Don't have much experience with macros but when you press ALT + F11 and go to the VBA code do you see anything under code window for sheet or workbook? Actually it is empty
  • In 2003 from some menu there used to be repair office option. Do check if something similar exists in 2007 and try to repair office and check if the issue goes away. Not able to find that option

patkim

Cyborg Agent
check if this official link can help in anyway before you attempt to do a full reinstall
*support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/924614/how-to-use-the-repair-process-in-the-2007-office-programs

I am also wondering, in your xls sheet when you select all (CTRL +A) -> Right Click --> Format Cells. Do you see font style selected as Bold?

Last edited:

patkim

Cyborg Agent
There's one more thing I can suggest. Understand how templates work in Excel 2007 (Internet search)
Create a blank xls. Select all cells and uncheck if there's any bold style. Save this as template under template location and force excel to use this template when starting.
Now check if the issue is gone. I have never used templates so not too sure about the exact procedure. So this post is only indicative. You can explore more as relevant.

OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect
There's one more thing I can suggest. Understand how templates work in Excel 2007 (Internet search)
Create a blank xls. Select all cells and uncheck if there's any bold style. Save this as template under template location and force excel to use this template when starting.
Now check if the issue is gone. I have never used templates so not too sure about the exact procedure. So this post is only indicative. You can explore more as relevant.
It doesn't work. I tried reparing but it shows that everthing is fine.

patkim

Cyborg Agent
When you select all (CTRL +A) -> Right Click --> Format Cells. Do you see font style selected as Bold?

OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect
When you select all (CTRL +A) -> Right Click --> Format Cells. Do you see font style selected as Bold?
Let me check that and get back to you. But I guess bold won't be selected in there. After typing a line and pressing enter or moving to the next cell the previous one becomes bold.

patkim

Cyborg Agent
If it gets Bold as you type then it's the Font Style issue. However if it gets Bold after you exit the cell then perhaps somewhere Worksheet Change event is firing in the VBA code to make it work that way.

Though you have checked earlier recheck the following
In the worksheet press ALT + F11. Now code window shall open. Select Sheet1 in left pane. Now in right pane drop down first drop down box to select 'Worksheet'. In the next drop down box select 'SelectionChange' or 'Change' and see if you find any code therein just in case.

The code herein shall fire every time a change is made in a cell and you exit the cell.

Last edited:
Top Bottom