Camera talk...

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
I am going to my hometown for 3 days..I will test my Nikon 300mm ..yey :) I will also shoot RAW and see if I get sharper pics..
Actually I use only a 8GB card, its just too less for RAW and fills in less then 200 pics ..lets see.
More than sharpness you'll see a huge benefit on dynamic range. Sunset shots, shots with light and shade can give amazing colors and details after processing.

Also, you'll be able to change temperature a lot. So you can make a golden light shot more warm

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Checked some of the wedding shots, looks better than I thought. Didn't look them at pixel level though, and I don't how much the noise gonna affect the print. It was already getting late and lot of photos haven't copied from the memory card. I will go again next week, hopefully by then all the photos will be available.

BTW, these were the gears lent to me to shoot the wedding.
IMG_0321.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0321.JPG
    IMG_0321.JPG
    135 KB · Views: 96

sujoyp

Grand Master
Soo guys u submitted ur pics to babumoshai..great opportunity to print them on digit magazine

Sent from my E5563 using Tapatalk

sujoyp

Grand Master
Yaah.. But stuge is not active from more then an year..I dong think he will cintribute

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Soo guys u submitted ur pics to babumoshai..great opportunity to print them on digit magazine
Yeah, I did.

When they asked few years back, I didn't send mine because of the requirements (Photo of mine and ...). I prefer to stay anonymous online, some of you may know that.
There was no such requirement this time, so I sent mine. :Fingerx:
Yup... I remember being featured before also. I hope @Stuge and @siddharth also got their shots in. They have amazing stuff
Many of us are not active here, less than half a dozen members and even those are not actively posting their work here.

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
Yup, seems that many have disappeared and not all that many people have come in. I love all the marvel model photos that come here, all the stuff you guys keep posting. But it was amazing the kind of travel work that stuge posted, the amazing vintage lens stuff that (forgot contributor names) was posted.

Raaabo

The Dark Lord
Staff member
Admin
Revive it. Call him back. What do you need to get contributors back here? I'm happy to start a dedicated photography section where each of you get to star in your own threads to show off your work to the community.

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
I love all the marvel model photos that come here, all the stuff you guys keep posting.
His lightings are great. Probably, the best I have seen in this forum. In fact, I don't remember any one else used much of flash/strobe in their work. I would love to learn lightings from him. And his work is consistently good.
Revive it. Call him back. What do you need to get contributors back here? I'm happy to start a dedicated photography section where each of you get to star in your own threads to show off your work to the community.
Something made them come here in the first place, later they moved on. They do show off their work, in flickr, in instagram. I don't have any idea what we can do to make them use this platform as well to show off their work. You have any idea what we can do?
New wave of people should come.
Experienced can do some tutorials - something like lightings, composition...
Many now uses their mobile phone to share, using app (flickr, instagram) to upload online. How can we do that?

sujoyp

Grand Master
Stuge and many guys moved on...many may have left photography as a hobbies altogether. Its always fresh guys come and seniors move on..but right now very less people are active. Even I dont get much time to shoot/post/answer but still I love being here.

Those who buy new DSLR do not even post anything nowdays :( ..

@raboo you can have a photography competition every month and print the winner's pic on your magazeine. this way maybe we will get more contributers.

Reactions: nac

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
I'm connected to some of these guys on Facebook and insta. Guess one of the reasons is that its pretty hard to post a pic here that's hosted on insta (or i don't know how). It was quite easy from flickr but i think people have stopped posting to Flickr itself.

Also its more a community thing. I came here due to the awesome discussions. I remember we shared RAW files and everyone would try editing them. A dedicated section for photos might help but it'll make the discussions more scattered. What we might need is a call-out in the magazine for people to share pics/techniques/gear here

Another is that the earlier signatures used to carry a link to that person's flickr/insta. So i had access to his/her work and settings. I know the old signatures were misused but is there a way to get an icon for insta here (like microstockgroup forums do)

Digit has always been my go to place for DIY stuff (proud reader since '99) would love to see more photography type DIYs in the mag. Only you guys can do the really nerdy ones like ones with CHDK/Magic lantern or opening up lenses.

@Raaabo, Maybe too many thoughts. Lets see how this can be phased out.

sujoyp

Grand Master
Hi Guys...for sometime I was thinking to start pet photography...I just love animals and I have the touch where animals become friendly with me quickly :D (friend with Cows, many many dogs, many cats )
But how do I start...I have never done before..I want to try 1-2 time for free before taking money for it .

Any tips?

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
^ No idea. But google throws tons of sites. Here is one
9 Pet Photography Tips

I am asked if I am coming for the next wedding shoot. Again on weekday :( Still there is no talk about payment. :blink:

It's nice he's asking, assuming I am good enough for his requirement. But without any compensation, it's no point in taking off from work every now and then.

Still both of us haven't checked all the photos. Yet to start post processing. Hoping they will start soon :Fingerx:

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
9 Pet Photography Tips

I am asked if I am coming for the next wedding shoot. Again on weekday :( Still there is no talk about payment. :blink:

It's nice he's asking, assuming I am good enough for his requirement. But without any compensation, it's no point in taking off from work every now and then.

Still both of us haven't checked all the photos. Yet to start post processing. Hoping they will start soon :Fingerx:
This is one of those things that you'll have to ask directly. Start with how you enjoyed it and it was great learning new stuff. Ask him what kind of a compensation he will be comfortable with, payment + covering expenses ideally.

See what direction the conversation goes. Make up your mind if unpaid experience will help you later on, and make responses accordingly. Or better yet fix a time and assessment method. Maybe after 5 shoots where your images are getting picked you'll start getting a stipend of sorts

Reactions: nac

sujoyp

Grand Master
9 Pet Photography Tips

I already told you ...if you want to pursue this line then its a great experience..go for it for free again this time. But if you are going just as a hobbie then drop the idea of doing free help...I wont push myself soo much for free or without any reason.

You have to decide this.

Also as amlan said , tell them how good the experince was and you will want to join the group. And how much compensation they will offer etc :)

raja manuel

In the zone
Hi Guys...for sometime I was thinking to start pet photography...I just love animals and I have the touch where animals become friendly with me quickly :D (friend with Cows, many many dogs, many cats )
But how do I start...I have never done before..I want to try 1-2 time for free before taking money for it .

Any tips?

Have you already done a lot of pet photography so you know how to handle the situation?
I did a lot of cat photography in my film SLR days. One of the problems faced is that no matter how well you get along with the animal they get nervous when they see you lift a big black thing to your face - unfortunately in our country most animals associate people lifting objects as someone throwing stones at them. Younger animals may be less nervous, and even curious to see what you are doing so that may be a good place to start. Also, if you plan to be really good at this you will get into the world of flash photography of moving objects (sometimes rapidly moving). You will need HSS capable gear and a thorough understanding of flash concepts like the inverse square law (though this will come later).
With my DSLR I've found that the articulating screen on my camera to be invaluable in getting a shot like this:
*i1182.photobucket.com/albums/x458/pokeslow/Feline/Sleepyhead_zps022ed87a.jpg

raja manuel

In the zone
That is an opportunity in itself. If you can figure out how to take photos of your camera shy dog, then you will be well placed to take photos of other people's pets that would be otherwise unphotographable e.g., you can take photos of your dog during play when the dog if focused on the experience, or learn how to distract your dog while you click - it is a bit like photographing babies, or so I've heard.

sujoyp

Grand Master
Yaah true.. Problem is dog is in hometown and me in Mumbai..and my dog is bit old now..not too excited nowdays..still lets see who I can find

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Took off and went to the wedding shoot. One side an offer to shoot a wedding and another side taking off from work and wondering if I would get a decent compensation. Finally, interest in shooting outweighs the other. I asked if I am getting paid, he said yes. So yeah, I will get paid. If it's less than to cover to expenses and work life, this time I won't hesitate to ask.

This time less nervous, bit more confident. Got some more opportunities to shoot. Some were better and some not.

I think swapping camera can't be avoided. There are times I am put in a position to swap the camera.

Overall, it's an okaish experience. Now I am wanting and more curious to shoot. I am keeping my fingers crossed. And moreover Aadi (Tamil month) is just around the corner and there will be no wedding during this month. There is one wedding date before Aadi, would I get a call again?

Top Bottom