Is this CPU physically damaged?

Sarvesh

Journeyman
i opened my claim on 8th june and since then i have called them atleast 5-6 times and every time i was told that they are working on and that it someone from their department will be contacting me within 24-48 hrs and give me an update on the status of the case
Go to your claim status page and check thoroughly there must be mentioned somewhere that issue has been informed to the seller and he shall respond in 7 days.
And what are they saying on phone? ask them - working on what? Tell them clearly that if they cannot arrange a pickup then you will send it back through a courier since its of no use to you and ask them for reimbursement of courier charges.

Did you receive your claim ID? Claim ID is generated immediately after filing claim - If you don't have - then it seems you have not raised your claim properly.

Check here

eBay Guarantee

If the seller fails to respond - ebay may process a total refund.

Last edited:
OP
quicky008

quicky008

Technomancer
Yes i do have the claim id-i have to mention it to their support agent everytime i call them up.To be honest i don't have a clue on what they are supposed to be working on-whenever i give them a call and express my annoyance for not having been contacted by their claims team yet,their representative apologizes and then proceeds to give the same stock reply over and over again-that they are working on my case and someone will be calling me up shortly to apprise me of the latest developments concerning this matter,but ironically i have received no calls from their end whatsoever till date.

I dont know whats the meaning of this tomfoolery-if they are unable to arrange a reverse pickup then why dont they just simply say so rather than bluffing and giving false assurances repeatedly?And its not stated explicitly in my claim that the seller has been informed and has been asked to reply within a specified period.However the seller did contact me about a week ago on the phone and told me that he was willing to replace the cpu as soon as i returned the defective unit back to him.And shortly after i heard from him i called ebay and requested them to arrange a reverse pickup,they assured me that it will be taken care of, but haven't really done anything about it so far.So i think i will have to return it to him by courier now and ask them to reimburse me for the expenses i will incur for this.

Sarvesh

Journeyman
if they are unable to arrange a reverse pickup then why dont they just simply say so rather than bluffing and giving false assurances repeatedly?
Some time we need not have to send the item back as may be the case to avoid extra expenses (when the item is of no use or broken etc - but depends on the Seller's confirmation to eBay).

When you call eBay, insist to talk to some senior manager or executive when the reply is not satisfactory even after so many days.

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Is there anything to escalate your complaint to higher authorities? If there is, do that.

OP
quicky008

quicky008

Technomancer
today ebay posted an update on my claims page stating that i will have to return the item to the seller by courier within 3 days from today and that they will be reimbursing me for my expenses in the form of coupons that will be sent to my registered email address-can these coupons be redeemed for cash or can they be only used while buying more stuff from ebay?Is there any way i can ask them to reimburse me in the form of cash or cheque instead of coupons?

Sarvesh

Journeyman
today ebay posted an update on my claims page stating that i will have to return the item to the seller by courier within 3 days from today and that they will be reimbursing me for my expenses in the form of coupons that will be sent to my registered email address-can these coupons be redeemed for cash or can they be only used while buying more stuff from ebay?Is there any way i can ask them to reimburse me in the form of cash or cheque instead of coupons?
Courier the CPU & upload the scan copy of POD and money receipt on the claim page along with your message.

They will only issue coupon for the reimbursement of courier charges which can be redeemed against any item while making payments.

Randy_Marsh

Youngling
You've mentioned that this seller can't be trusted anymore-did you by any chance also have any bad experiences while dealing with him?

No, I have stopped using ebay years back after experiencing trouble multiple times.
Would you still like to trust this seller after your experience? If I were you, I would never.

OP
quicky008

quicky008

Technomancer
Finally dispatched the faulty cpu to the seller by courier today-now it only remains to be seen what ebay is going to do next.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^ ^ Did ebay picked it from you or you had to ship it with you own expense ? Keep the delivery challan / slip, scan it and send it / attach it with your claim ticket as update for proof.

You can not redeem these coupons for cash but you can ask for cheque instead of coupons - best solution is to directly call ebay customer support.

OP
quicky008

quicky008

Technomancer
^ ^ Did ebay picked it from you or you had to ship it with you own expense ? Keep the delivery challan / slip, scan it and send it / attach it with your claim ticket as update for proof.

You can not redeem these coupons for cash but you can ask for cheque instead of coupons - best solution is to directly call ebay customer support.

No ebay didn't pick it up-i had to ship it at my own expense via DTDC courier.I've already uploaded the copy of the scanned receipt on my claims page.

Can those coupons be used to get a discount on a product being purchased via COD or debit card?Or do i have to use some other mode of payment while buying something from ebay to be eligible to use coupons?if its the latter then the coupon would be practically useless for me as i usually pay via debit card or use the Cash on delivery option while buying any item-in that case i'll have to ask them to send me a cheque instead.

Sarvesh

Journeyman
Can those coupons be used to get a discount on a product being purchased via COD or debit card?Or do i have to use some other mode of payment while buying something from ebay to be eligible to use coupons?
It can be used with all types of payment. While buying any item just apply the coupon code and the coupon code amount will get deducted from the total & you have to pay the balance using any mode but I personally prefer Paisa pay since it provides eBay guarantee. So the formula is "Actual Cart value - Coupon value = Amount to be paid using any payment method".

Cheques are issued in case of total refund (item price + return courier charges).

Hope that clarifies.

OP
quicky008

quicky008

Technomancer
I've long since obtained the replacement for the defective cpu that was sent to me from ebay earlier and its been working pretty well till date.

Recently i decided to buy another Q9400 cpu,just to keep it as a spare as they are not very easily available nowadays.I ordered it from a different seller this time around,just to be on the safer side.However when the cpu was delivered to me,i checked it and found no signs of any obvious physical damage or defect.But on closer inspection,i discovered that 2 of the SMDs underneath the cpu were not aligned properly and were slightly bent(please check the image attached below).

On comparing it to the reference image of the q9400 cpu that was uploaded by Sarvesh earlier,it seems obvious that they are not supposed to be like this-all the components and smds should be laid out correctly and not be bent or skewed in any way.So is this cpu potentially defective as well?Is there any way to tell whether it will work or not without testing it on a motherboard?Should i ask the seller to replace this-will ebay entertain any claims for replacement as there are no discernible signs of damage on the cpu (unlike the case of the cpu that i had received earlier having many damaged/broken components)?
Any inputs on this will be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• cpu1.jpg
    cpu1.jpg
    624.9 KB · Views: 108

billubakra

Conversation Architect
I've long since obtained the replacement for the defective cpu that was sent to me from ebay earlier and its been working pretty well till date.

Recently i decided to buy another Q9400 cpu,just to keep it as a spare as they are not very easily available nowadays.I ordered it from a different seller this time around,just to be on the safer side.However when the cpu was delivered to me,i checked it and found no signs of any obvious physical damage or defect.But on closer inspection,i discovered that 2 of the SMDs underneath the cpu were not aligned properly and were slightly bent(please check the image attached below).

On comparing it to the reference image of the q9400 cpu that was uploaded by Sarvesh earlier,it seems obvious that they are not supposed to be like this-all the components and smds should be laid out correctly and not be bent or skewed in any way.So is this cpu potentially defective as well?Is there any way to tell whether it will work or not without testing it on a motherboard?Should i ask the seller to replace this-will ebay entertain any claims for replacement as there are no discernible signs of damage on the cpu (unlike the case of the cpu that i had received earlier having many damaged/broken components)?
Any inputs on this will be greatly appreciated!
If you have doubts then ask for a replacement, but first wait for the seniors to comment.

OP
quicky008

quicky008

Technomancer
ok,so even if some of the smds are slig
If it works and passes Prime95 and Memtest86, it should be fine.

Only way to know is by trying it out.

ok,so even if some of the smds on the cpu are slightly bent there's still a chance that the cpu isn't DOA and might still work,right?

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
The way they are bent I don't think the will damage the motherboard and there position is still enough to make a good socket contact so just try it on a motherboard.

Sarvesh

Journeyman
ok,so even if some of the smds are slig
ok,so even if some of the smds on the cpu are slightly bent there's still a chance that the cpu isn't DOA and might still work,right?
Take a magnifying glass and check the soldered joints of SMDs - if they are clean & not shorted then I think the Cpu should work. Sometimes due to regular overheating such things (smd slight displacement) occur which may even cause permanent damage to the cpu.

OP
quicky008

quicky008

Technomancer
Thanks,sarvesh and topgear-i have talked to the seller and he has agreed to replace the cpu once i send it back to him.Should i still open a guarantee claim on ebay so that everything happens through proper channels and the seller doesn't try to send me a defective unit yet once again?

Top Bottom