Final Piece for my gaming PC: An SSD

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Yes, it reached, here are scores on a USB3.0 enclosure I borrowed from office.

*imagebucket.net/cqdo38jvq1aw/snippingSpeed.PNG
*fileserver.imagebucket.net/i/00000/cqdo38jvq1aw_t.jpg

The actual speeds on SATA 3 will be much faster

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Comparision with the M2 Sata SSD already there in office laptop
*fileserver.imagebucket.net/i/00000/x8snukhqdwdb_t.jpg

Obviously USB 3.0 speeds are much lesser, and im willing to bet the samsung SSD will rekt the office SSD if it were seated in a SATA 3 slot.
I have ordered a Type C enclosure, it will reach in a few days.. Will give a full fledged review and comparision then.

Hrishi

USB3.0 isn't a native host protocol, unlike SATA. So it will have a bit of performance overhead over SATA, obviously.
USB will consume some additional CPU Cycles and memory.

Sent from my ONE E1003 using Tapatalk

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Yeah, I currently have to use USB or Thunderbolt to boot my PC as the other slots are occupied and I cant remove them because reasons.

Buy Products Online from China Wholesalers at Aliexpress.com

This is the enclosure i ordered, hope it will reach quickly. It seems its just a type C port though without utilizing the type C functionality. Lets see.

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Leaving the technical aspects aside (that I need to digest later), I would like to point out to an article published on digit as per which storage devices are coming under 18% GST slab.

GST impact on consumer technology: Here’s what will happen to prices of smartphones, TVs, ACs, refrigerators, other tech goods and services | Digit.in

Doesn't this mean, SSD will become cheaper?

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
@Nerevarine
Can you explain why would we need a Type C enclosure? Do you want to use the SSD like an external drive that you can use through USB 3.0 port?

I plan to house the SSD inside the chassis and use the SATA 3 cables to make it the boot drive housing the OSes of my PC.

So do I still need an enclosure?

Also, if you had a great deal buying from ebay and you are satisfied by the product I would also like to order one from ebay. I trust your judgement on this. Please help.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
I need an enclosure because Im booting from a laptop that only has M2 Sata slots. So I need a USB3.0 enclosure or even better a thunderbolt 3 based enclosure (Sadly the latter is too costly)..
For you, the SSD is more than enough, as you will be using it with a PC . Make sure to use the SATA 6 gbps port while connecting to the SSD (It will be differently colored, like blue or red)..
Yeah the ebay seller is legit, the SSD I got is manufactured in May 2017, and on the ebay pack it was written, Packed under supervision from a CCTV camera.

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
I need an enclosure because Im booting from a laptop that only has M2 Sata slots. So I need a USB3.0 enclosure or even better a thunderbolt 3 based enclosure (Sadly the latter is too costly)..
For you, the SSD is more than enough, as you will be using it with a PC . Make sure to use the SATA 6 gbps port while connecting to the SSD (It will be differently colored, like blue or red)..
Yeah the ebay seller is legit, the SSD I got is manufactured in May 2017, and on the ebay pack it was written, Packed under supervision from a CCTV camera.
Ok. Thanks for the clarification.
I have decided to buy from eBay itself. Amazon.in price is not coming down. But now I am confused since on eBay both sellers have now equal price of Rs 6749, so I don't know from which you bought.

Can you confirm whether you bought from the seller "ecomputerstore2013" or "itstoredatascan"?

dexterz

Journeyman
Leaving the technical aspects aside (that I need to digest later), I would like to point out to an article published on digit as per which storage devices are coming under 18% GST slab.

GST impact on consumer technology: Here’s what will happen to prices of smartphones, TVs, ACs, refrigerators, other tech goods and services | Digit.in

Doesn't this mean, SSD will become cheaper?
what is the tax rate now? is it higher than 18%? thinking of picking up a 850 evo from nehru place

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
what is the tax rate now? is it higher than 18%? thinking of picking up a 850 evo from nehru place
I am not aware of the current taxes, but I do think it can't be as high as 18% which would be new tax after GST.

Also an indicative of Nehru Place price you can refer cost to cost price list pdf. And as per it the cost (Rs 6895 + taxes) isn't less than what eBay is offering.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
It may be,see the thing about indirect taxes in India now(aka before GST) is that there are so many of them that it is difficult to give a straight figure.Hdd might be coming to a port in Mumbai where customs might be levying a tax,then Maharashtra govt might also be levying a tax,then during journey to Delhi some states also might be levying tax,then Delhi govt might also be levying some tax,so who knows.I am assuming that where dealers knows there will definitely be an increase in price post-GST,they will be trying to clear the stock by giving some discount etc.However where even they are not sure how it will play out or know prices will reduce,they will keep selling the stock at existing prices as long as they can.

dexterz

Journeyman
I am not aware of the current taxes, but I do think it can't be as high as 18% which would be new tax after GST.

Also an indicative of Nehru Place price you can refer cost to cost price list pdf. And as per it the cost (Rs 6895 + taxes) isn't less than what eBay is offering.
yea price is 7240 at C2C. will take a look at ebay

Nerevarine

Incarnate
I bought from this

Samsung 2.5'' 850 EVO 250 GB Sata-III(MZ-75E250BW)Internal SSD-Samsung#.. | eBay

Sorry for the dalay, I was out whole day

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
I bought from this

Samsung 2.5'' 850 EVO 250 GB Sata-III(MZ-75E250BW)Internal SSD-Samsung#.. | eBay

Sorry for the dalay, I was out whole day

No problem homie! Looks like I was the impatient one. :D

I just ordered the drive from that link. :D :wub:

dexterz

Journeyman
No problem homie! Looks like I was the impatient one. :D

I just ordered the drive from that link. :D :wub:
got your drive yet? i got mine yesterday. moved most my frequent played games to the drive. no more staring at loading screen for 30~40seconds :D

dexterz

Journeyman
can u post a crystal disk mark result ? assuming ur running it in SATA 3
upload_2017-6-29_18-4-4.png

Nerevarine

Incarnate
those speeds are way too low, i was expecting above 500 MB/s read
are u sure u are using a SATA 3 port and not a SATA 2 port ?

Top Bottom