The 10 min test to prove how stable is your ISP!

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
There's a tool "Ping Plotter" which is used to diagnose network issues. It's an excellent tool to check how stable is your ping (actually Traceroute, which is different than Ping, but we won't go in detail here in the 1st post).

When the test is running, the break in ping is shown as Red bar. A small 10 min test is enough to see how stable it is generally. Here's how to do this test:

Steps:
  1. There's a tool called PingPlotter.
  2. Download it (Link) and run the 14 day trial.
  3. Run a new trace to www.google.com or any other site.
  4. Let it run for 10 min.
  5. Select the option File -> Share -> Create Share page) . This will create a page of results. Post the URL of that page with following info:
    • City
    • ISP
    • Plan
    • Comments

Let us see how stable is your internet?

Tips:
  1. You can test for more than 10 min if you don't see any "red bars". A one hour or more test can also show how stable your internet is.
  2. You can right click the graph in PingPlotter tool, and select "10 Minutes" so that the graph is zoomed to 10 min of view.

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Here's my result:
Shared from PingPlotter
*share.pingplotter.com/V8HZBvJG5Xz.png
  • City : Delhi
  • ISP: Excitel
  • Plan: 50 mbps unlimited
  • Comments: Shocking as hell. I think I need to register a complain.

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Hmm, looks like we don't have to trust Ookla for speedtest & ping rates
Speed test and ping test doesn't show anything about stability of the connection. It's only when you analyze network over a period of time that things starts to become clear.

sohan_92

In the zone
Here's my result:
Shared from PingPlotter
*share.pingplotter.com/V8HZBvJG5Xz.png
  • City : Delhi
  • ISP: Excitel
  • Plan: 50 mbps unlimited
  • Comments: Shocking as hell. I think I need to register a complain.
Just Curious... the 50mbps plan is not FUP-based, right? If not, how much it costs for you?

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
The reason I asked is, I have never seen any ISP providing such speed without FUP.
That's right mate. Not much ISP is true unlimited. But I would rather let me listen finger nails screeching against a blackboard, then to have a FUP based ISP. Excitel is providing me that plan for Rs 800 per month after taxes.

But after this test, I am not much glad about it, since for a gamer, stability comes first.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
will free version work or we need to get the trial version ( STD / Pro ) for the test ?

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
will free version work or we need to get the trial version ( STD / Pro ) for the test ?
I was not sure if it had a free version. I think free version should suffice since we only need basic functionality of plotting trace results.

Else trial version can be used.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Okay, here's goes my screenshot ( forgot to copy the url ) :

*preview.ibb.co/nEkCk5/www_google_com1.png

City : Kolkata
ISP: Speednet ( Local ISP )
Plan: 1 mbps unlimited
Comments: Don't have anything to say other than it's costly - Rs. 600 per month.

Last edited:

Hrishi

Okay, here's goes my screenshot ( forgot to copy the url ) :

*preview.ibb.co/nEkCk5/www_google_com1.png

City : Kolkata
ISP: Speednet ( Local ISP )
Plan: 1 mbps unlimited
Comments: Don't have anything to say other than it's costly - Rs. 600 per month.
Doesn't look like there were any drops, but the sample size is very small. It's best to run the test for an hour and see how often were the drops/red bars and how large.
1. Frequent drops indicate lots of congestion or heavy load, poor cabling in your network.
Drops lasting anywhere between 2-4 seconds won't kick you out of most online games and services. However anything in the range of 10+s means pretty bad.

2. Occasional drops, let's say 10-15, 2-3s drops in an hour.. Is considered stable. Mostly because the ping plotter uses ICMP packets, which are dropped at the first sight of congestion. So sometimes your legitimate traffic(tcp/udp/sip) may be able to pass through without getting dropped, but icmp will show drops.

I am using Excitel ISP, same as Vyom thus I see a simliar trend on mine. However, this is far better than what I was previously getting with ANI Networks.
I used to see continuous drops lasting 15-30s, every once in a while. This was happening mostly because they were providing high speed Internet plans, but with a very narrow channel.

It's a good measure to keep these stats, they help you compare your ISPs performance, every once in a while relatively.

Sent from my ONE E1003 using Tapatalk

jash123

Broken In
Shared from PingPlotter
*share.pingplotter.com/Hc6nc2WCW64.png

City : Mumbai
ISP: Unique net ( Local ISP )
Plan: 5 mbps unlimited
Comments: Rs. 700 per month.

ithehappy

Human Spambot
*share.pingplotter.com/Z5xwX5GTMZY.png

City: Calcutta
ISP: Alliance Broadband
Plan: Starter (₹590 PM), no idea how many mbps they provide, according to their wish. Of late its around 5-10 mbps!

Comments: I don't like the broadband for stability, will soon be moving to Hathway. But for downloading this was a great short 18 month experience for me. And as usual, anything is better than BSNL.

Hrishi

*share.pingplotter.com/Z5xwX5GTMZY.png

City: Calcutta
ISP: Alliance Broadband
Plan: Starter (₹590 PM), no idea how many mbps they provide, according to their wish. Of late its around 5-10 mbps!

Comments: I don't like the broadband for stability, will soon be moving to Hathway. But for downloading this was a great short 18 month experience for me. And as usual, anything is better than BSNL.
Whatever is cheap and good for download will very likely have very poor stability and quality. Particularly if it's a small ISP.

ithehappy

Human Spambot
Whatever is cheap and good for download will very likely have very poor stability and quality. Particularly if it's a small ISP.

Well a balance has to be found between quality and downloading speed. What about that 10 minute chart what does it show?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

sohan_92

In the zone
Shared from PingPlotter

upload_2017-8-21_20-54-58.png

• City : Bengaluru
  • ISP: ACT Fibrenet
  • Plan: ACT Swift Internet (5Mbps, 40GB quota, post FUP 256kbps)
  • Comments: I don't know whether the graph is good or not please enlighten me.

Top Bottom