30K PC Upgrade Suggestions pls - CPU + MOB + RAM

NeedToKnow

Journeyman
I am thinking of going for an upgrade .... and would like ur suggestions for CPU , Mob & ram

1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans:gaming at fhd

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans:30000

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans:eek:nly if it does not break the bank(budget)

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans:win 10 64-bit

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans:not needed for now

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans:no . I own a LG 22MP68VQ-P and plan to reuse it .

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: smps , gpu , hdd , cabinet , monitor ....

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans:End june

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans:Yes , but will leave it to an assembler this time ... been a while since i flexed my fingers :p

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans:will be buying from kolkata .. and i am open to online shopping

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans:I go for an upgrade once in 5-6 years , so the PC should remain relevant till then & I would prefer a Intel build .
Items I have short listed :
i5 - 7500
Gigabyte - GA-H270-HD3P
corsair vengence 8 gb 2400

Parts to be reused :
smps - rm 750
gpu - gtx 960 ( Zotac 4 gb)
hdd - seagate 1tb
cabinet - 500r
monitor - LG 22MP68VQ-P

please provide your comments on the above items or any alternate config.
:Fingerx:

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Budget -29.5K

AMD R5 1600 -16000,
Asus Prime B350 Plus -8000,
Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB 3200Mhz -5500.
Total -29,500.

Sent from my Lenovo K33a42 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

gta5

Ambassador of Buzz
i5 4c/4t is not future proof at all.. 100% usage in battlefield 1 multiplayer..

Ryzen 1600 - 16k
Asus PRIME B350 plus -8k

Sell your gtx 960 and get Rx 570 .. if you don't plan on upgrading again for 5 years.. you will be able to use FREESYNC and play games smoothly even at 45 fps... in addition to getting more performance..

Choose ram according to budget 3200mhz or else 2400...

Buy it Soon , before GST is implemented..

Last edited:
OP
NeedToKnow

NeedToKnow

Journeyman
last time I checked , AMD still has to deal with their decade old heating issue ... 50K PC Upgrade for Gaming/Streaming - CPU+ RAM + MOBO
I am not sure AMD is the way forward .....

OP
NeedToKnow

NeedToKnow

Journeyman
actually to be truthful , i have never used an amd setup ... been using intel setups since 2002 ... my good old p4 n intel 845gvsr ... and believe me they still power up when connected to an smps

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
actually to be truthful , i have never used an amd setup ... been using intel setups since 2002 ... my good old p4 n intel 845gvsr ... and believe me they still power up when connected to an smps
Sorry to break it to you, it was the Pentium 4 which had heating issues. Not AMD.

Slower in majority of the performance benchmarks against Athlon 64 despite having a 1 Ghz higher clock speed, and consuming twice the power. Pentium 4 is consuming power power at idle than Athlon 64 does at load. :lol:

Power Consumption Test - AMD's Dual Core Athlon 64 X2 Strikes Hard

You wasted money with the Pentium 4, that's the truth. [Decade old review cited above]

last time I checked , AMD still has to deal with their decade old heating issue ... 50K PC Upgrade for Gaming/Streaming - CPU+ RAM + MOBO
I am not sure AMD is the way forward .....

In that post, it was a "temperature readout" bug in the temperature reading software which wasn't taking care of the intentional offset for fan RPM policy. His current temperatures on load, I doubt are above 60-65 degree Celsius. Ask him if you have questions.

Gaming: AMD Ryzen™ Community Update | Community

In the short term, users of the AMD Ryzen™ 1700X and 1800X can simply subtract 20°C to determine the true junction temperature of their processor. No arithmetic is required for the Ryzen 7 1700. Long term, we expect temperature monitoring software to better understand our tCTL offsets to report the junction temperature automatically.

As far as Ryzen is concerned, the 8 core Ryzen consumes the same power as a 4 core i7.

It's your choice if you want to waste money on the Intel i5 (4 cores/4 threads). Currently, the 6 core, 12 thread Ryzen 5 1600 is the best value-for-money in the market. If you buy anything else in your budget, you are making a fool out of yourself.

Why we recommend Ryzen 5 1600?

First of all, it runs circles around the i5 in anything related to productivity. It has 2 extra cores, and 8 extra threads. It costs ₹16,000 and it competes with the ₹50,000 i7-6850K (6C/12T).

In gaming, Ryzen 5 1600 and i5-7500 are evenly matched.
In fact, i5-6600K (equivalent to i5-7500) is hitting 75 to 85% usage in games already whereas Ryzen is below 50%. This can answer which CPU will last 5-6 years.

Last edited:
OP
NeedToKnow

NeedToKnow

Journeyman
Thanks for the detailed reply , actually the old faithful was my 1st pc - and I didn't have access to benchmarks at that time , regarding the current build , i dont think I would face any dearth of power on the RM 750

ssb1551

Technomancer
You still dont get the point - do You? I guess you can be called an "Intel fan boy". What ico and gta5 mean is the i5s (a 4C/4T CPU) are not as VFM as Ryzen 5 1600X. And the CPU usage in i5s is almost 80-90% in some games whereas 1600X is under 50% in those. There are many articles and videos on the net with the comparison of i5s against 1600X. 1600X is a better VFM option than i5s - period.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for the detailed reply , actually the old faithful was my 1st pc - and I didn't have access to benchmarks at that time
so, what are you planning to buy?

We are neutral here, will recommend the best regardless of company. If one year ago you'd have posted, I don't think anyone would have recommended AMD because their previous gen was long outdated.

regarding the current build , i dont think I would face any dearth of power on the RM 750
My point was not for today's scenario. You had a chip which overheated the most. And yet you think AMD overheats? This is wrong.

You'll face a dearth of processing power with the i5 soon, that I can guarantee.

Last edited:
OP
NeedToKnow

NeedToKnow

Journeyman
You still dont get the point - do You? I guess you can be called an "Intel fan boy". What ico and gta5 mean is the i5s (a 4C/4T CPU) are not as VFM as Ryzen 5 1600X. And the CPU usage in i5s is almost 80-90% in some games whereas 1600X is under 50% in those. There are many articles and videos on the net with the comparison of i5s against 1600X. 1600X is a better VFM option than i5s - period.

ahh you got me wrong .... by "current build " I meant the ryzen 1600/b350 build

OP
NeedToKnow

NeedToKnow

Journeyman
so, what are you planning to buy?

We are neutral here, will recommend the best regardless of company. If one year ago you'd have posted, I don't think anyone would have recommended AMD because their previous gen was long outdated.

My point was not for today's scenario. You had a chip which overheated the most. And yet you think AMD overheats? This is wrong.

You'll face a dearth of processing power with the i5 soon, that I can guarantee.
Actually I just began looking at the AMD option , for some reason i find that AM4 MOBs are cheaper than h170/270's , around 2-3k cheaper for ATX models , good for me , I was wondering it that amount could be diverted in making the 1600 into 1600x ? maybe within 32k budget ? Is the overclocking moniker worth considering ? maybe going for 4 gb ram for now ?

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Actually I just began looking at the AMD option , for some reason i find that AM4 MOBs are cheaper than h170/270's , around 2-3k cheaper for ATX models , good for me , I was wondering it that amount could be diverted in making the 1600 into 1600x ? maybe within 32k budget ? Is the overclocking moniker worth considering ? maybe going for 4 gb ram for now ?
You can even overclock a R5 1400.
All Ryzen CPUs are unlocked out of the box. R5 1600 has better value for money compared to R5 1600x and it comes with stock cooler. If you want to do a minor OC, it'll hold pretty well (source: youtube review suggest wraith spire is comparable to Hyper 212 evo).
Get single stick of 8 GB DDR4 3000 MHz ram.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
The thing is, 1600X won't come with a stock cooler. You again end up spending ₹2000 on a cooler.

1600 comes with a cooler and shall do fine. The cooler is also good enough for overclocking 1600 to 1600X frequencies, but I don't think you'll be needing such an overclock.

Regarding RAM, go with 8 GB only. 4 GB days are over.

gta5

Ambassador of Buzz
instead of spending more on 1600x , get 1600 and put that extra budget into changing gpu to rx 570 if you don't want to upgrade again for next 5-6 years..

Last edited:

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
AMD Ryzen 5 1600 CPU Review

Check the review and decide for yourself.

Last edited:

ssb1551

Technomancer
Guys I don't mean to hijack the OP's thread but I have a relevant query. I have Cooler Master Hyper 103 CPU Cooler on my current AMD rig. If I go for 1600X can I use the same cooler or do I need to buy a new one? Any idea which cooler to go for if I have to buy a new one?

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Guys I don't mean to hijack the OP's thread but I have a relevant query. I have Cooler Master Hyper 103 CPU Cooler on my current AMD rig. If I go for 1600X can I use the same cooler or do I need to buy a new one? Any idea which cooler to go for if I have to buy a new one?
Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED.

ssb1551

Technomancer
bssunilreddy - You are too fast man!! hehe. On a serious note Hyper 212 Buy Online | Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED CPU Coolers RR-212L-16PR-R1 | Price in India is 500-600 less than Noctua NH-L9X65 Buy Online | Noctua NH-L9x65 SE-AM4 premium-grade low-profile CPU cooler for AMD AM4 | Price in India.

Is it ok to go for the latter?

OP
NeedToKnow

NeedToKnow

Journeyman
instead of spending more on 1600x , get 1600 and put that extra budget into changing gpu to rx 570 if you don't want to upgrade again for next 5-6 years..
Ok that seals it , 1600 it is , regarding the gpu , let me take one step at a time , maybe at a later date , plus i am not sure how much the 960 oc 4gb will fetch me .

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
bssunilreddy - You are too fast man!! hehe. On a serious note Hyper 212 Buy Online | Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED CPU Coolers RR-212L-16PR-R1 | Price in India is 500-600 less than Noctua NH-L9X65 Buy Online | Noctua NH-L9x65 SE-AM4 premium-grade low-profile CPU cooler for AMD AM4 | Price in India.

Is it ok to go for the latter?
Yes, go with Noctua.

Top Bottom