Microsoft Outlook and Office Android issue

billubakra

Conversation Architect
Hi Guys,
I am using MS Outlook in my phone and have linked my Gmail id with it. Few queries-

1. Let's say there is an image or pdf or whatever format attachment, MS Outlook first downloads it and then previews it. Where is the download location of the same? Not able to find it anywhere.

2. I previewed few excel files via it. Now I have even deleted those mails but those excel files can be seen in MS-Excel and when I try to delete them I get an error-

*i.imgur.com/Icxq0X5.png
As per the above attachment the location should be data>user>0>com.microsoft...., where exactly IDK.

*i.imgur.com/Icxq0X5.png

What to do?

Thanks

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Have you checked the Data directory in the root of your storage? Most of the data for all apps are generally stored there.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Many apps save their data in root protected location which can not be accessed in a non-rooted phone.That is why all android backup apps require phone to be rooted if app data is also to be backed up.In my opinion,rooting an android phone is not worth the hassle/security risk if you are not too much into customizing every small detail of it.

TigerKing

Wise Old Owl
Use any good file manager, ES File Explorer, X-plore
Go to Internal storage > Android > data > "Search for app folder - com.microsoft...." etc
Offline files saved there. You don't need root access here..
Use Google Docs, Sheets, Slides etc. This will work better for android. You can even edit it online and save to desktop.

OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect
Have you checked the Data directory in the root of your storage? Most of the data for all apps are generally stored there.
I did. Nothing there.

Many apps save their data in root protected location which can not be accessed in a non-rooted phone.That is why all android backup apps require phone to be rooted if app data is also to be backed up.In my opinion,rooting an android phone is not worth the hassle/security risk if
Why in the world is MS saving the attachments in a place which cannot be accessed/deleted? Couldn't agree more custom roms are good enough.

Use any good file manager, ES File Explorer, X-plore
Go to Internal storage > Android > data > "Search for app folder - com.microsoft...." etc
Offline files saved there. You don't need root access here..
Use Google Docs, Sheets, Slides etc. This will work better for android. You can even edit it online and save to desktop.

you are not too much into customizing every small detail of it.

Already did brother but com.microsoft.office.excel and com.microsoft.office.outlook folders are empty.

Also why am I not able to delete those files from excel?
Sorry posted same images in the post above, the second screenshot was on an error,"Sorry you do not have permission to delete this file" when I was trying to delete the files from excel.

*i.imgur.com/QOaCszf.png

TigerKing

Wise Old Owl
Buddy clear app cache data.
Serious problem with app.
Are you subscribed to it's beta updates?? In play store??
".... I'm in"

OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect
Buddy clear app cache data.
Serious problem with app.
Are you subscribed to it's beta updates?? In play store??
".... I'm in"
Will do that for excel. What about Outlook's save location?
IDK recall about beta but I have set up auto downloading of updates to ask before downloading.
Any good safe+fast email client?

TigerKing

Wise Old Owl
Looking for an email client in which I can access my Gmail account not an anonymous mail client.
Cleared excel's cache but the result is the same. Cannot delete those files.
Factory reset your device.
Gmail is enough..
Blue Mail - Email Exchange – Android Apps on Google Play
Inbox by Gmail – Android Apps on Google Play
Email TypeApp - Best Mail App! – Android Apps on Google Play
Email - Organized by Alto – Android Apps on Google Play
myMail—Free Email Application – Android Apps on Google Play
All Email Access | RSS Feed – Android Apps on Google Play
Email - Fast & Secure Mail – Android Apps on Google Play
Aqua Mail - Email App – Android Apps on Google Play
Newton Mail - Email & Calendar – Android Apps on Google Play

OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect
Factory reset your device.
Gmail is enough..
Blue Mail - Email Exchange – Android Apps on Google Play
Inbox by Gmail – Android Apps on Google Play
Email - Organized by Alto – Android Apps on Google Play
myMail—Free Email Application – Android Apps on Google Play
All Email Access | RSS Feed – Android Apps on Google Play
Email - Fast & Secure Mail – Android Apps on Google Play
Aqua Mail - Email App – Android Apps on Google Play
Newton Mail - Email & Calendar – Android Apps on Google Play

Sorry buddy won't reset at any cost. I was looking for a more concrete solution.
Mere bhai I am using Gmail for personal account. Using outlook for professional like.
Could you please tell me the best one out of the list that you have posted?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Is it that important for you to try new apps just because you are unable to delete some files from "recent" menu.Can you even open those files now?Have you tried disabling "recent" menu in excel?What if you simply open some random excel files to replace older ones in the "recent" list?

OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect
Is it that important for you to try new apps just because you are unable to delete some files from "recent" menu.Can you even open those files now?Have you tried disabling "recent" menu in excel?What if you simply open some random excel files to replace older ones in the "recent" list?

Actually those files have work related info. I can't say no to someone who asks for my phone but at the same time I don't want work related info to be declassified.
Yes I can open those files now. No disabling option in excel. Tried opening random files, they are gone when deleted from phone but the one's downloaded/viewed via Outlook stays there as I have no idea where they are getting saved.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
I meant "recent" menu has a limited number of entries(not unlimited) & whenever you open any file,that file gets added to recent menu.Once the limit is crossed,any opened file will replace the oldest file in recent menu.

Clear Recent Files list on WORD for Android phone
Open Word app, click on Open, Recent, click on the three dots next to the document and select the option ‘Don’t show’ which would remove the document from the recent list.

OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect
I meant "recent" menu has a limited number of entries(not unlimited) & whenever you open any file,that file gets added to recent menu.Once the limit is crossed,any opened file will replace the oldest file in recent menu.

Clear Recent Files list on WORD for Android phone
Thanks. It is removed from the list. Anyway to remove it from where ever it is saved?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't know about that but maybe it was removed from saved location as well,after all there is no point in keeping the file in a location which is inaccessible with shortcut to open that file also gone.

OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect
I don't know about that but maybe it was removed from saved location as well,after all there is no point in keeping the file in a location which is inaccessible with shortcut to open that file also gone.
A big maybe. Weird Outlook and Excel. If you ever find any info on this then please let me know.

TigerKing

Wise Old Owl
I did not noticed "Recent"..
As you solved your problem.. you can try google apps for office use.. you can use those files on ms office too if needed..

OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect
I did not noticed "Recent"..
As you solved your problem.. you can try google apps for office use.. you can use those files on ms office too if needed..

Yea looking for an alternative for excel and outlook. Will the files saved by outlook be deleted if I uninstall it? They are supposed to be deleted but since we can't find them in the first place so I have doubts.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
There are no good alternatives for MS Office apps,incl.google docs(though fine for some casual/student/not-so-serious office work),unless one is willing to make some compromises with features/security.

Top Bottom