Criticize my Ryzen Build - added RYZEN BENCHMARKS!!!

gta5

Ambassador of Buzz
Guys I will be assembling this over the next few weeks. I've placed an order for Gigabyte Gaming 3 motherboard and will be arriving Monday. I'm be going with full ATX so need mid tower cabinet. Please suggest a good cabinet ~5k with side window and good cooling. Spec Alpha seems good with 3 fans already built in but I've seen mixed reviews about quality etc. Deepcool Kendomen Ti also looks good with 5 fans builtin but meh on looks and unknown brand. What do you guys suggest?

Gigabyte gaming 3 seems to have VRM temp issues with overclock ..

B350 VRM temps • r/Amd

VRM temps.

Gigabyte Gaming 3 VRM temps. • r/buildapc

see if you can get .. Asus Prime B350 plus

OP
D

Digital Fragger

A Functioning God
Just bought Ryzen 6 1600 - 16050
Samsung Evo 850 250Gb - 7584

Monitor in transit.

Guys mdcomputers just got Asus RX 580 OC 4Gb for 19k. Vedant has Sapphire RX 570 Pulse for 15.2k and RX 570 nitro or 16.4k(including shipping)

I'm planning to get the Saphhire Nitro RX 570 for 16.2 but what do you guys suggest with the RX 580 at 19k?

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Just bought Ryzen 6 1600 - 16050
Samsung Evo 850 250Gb - 7584

Monitor in transit.

Guys mdcomputers just got Asus RX 580 OC 4Gb for 19k. Vedant has Sapphire RX 570 Pulse for 15.2k and RX 570 nitro or 16.4k(including shipping)

I'm planning to get the Saphhire Nitro RX 570 for 16.2 but what do you guys suggest with the RX 580 at 19k?
Get the 8 GB version.

OP
D

Digital Fragger

A Functioning God
@SaiyanGoku RX 580 8Gb is 6k over RX 570 whereas RX 580 4gb is 3k over RX 570. I don't feel spending 6k (40% price difference)over RX 570 is justifiable as I'm only buying a 1080p monitor and the performance difference is ~10%. Wanted to know opinion if it worth spending 3k(20%) for the 4Gb version over RX 570.

@gta5 Is the gaming 3 mb really bad or is it fine if I run it on mild overcloks ? I wanted the audio and dual bios just to be safe as I don't want power cut to brick the motherboard while updating. What do you think?

gta5

Ambassador of Buzz
really , any of the choices seems fine ...

if you plan on replacing it sooner , then go with Rx 570 @ 15k .. you save 4k now , that 4k will be invested better in the next GPU..
con- you will have to replace it sooner , but you will get more bang for your buck .. more performance/price

if you want your card to last a bit longer than that then get Rx 580 4gb @ 19k.. you pay 26 % more for 10% or so more performance... but it becomes crucial if you want to hit maximum fps ... and stay at 60 fps for titles like witcher 3 .. but with Freesync in place , it will not matter much if you see few drops and don't touch 60 in a few games...

8gb version to me seems not that worth it , unless you want all those high texture mods and game above 1080p ... by the time 4gb will become a real problem for most games , you'll want to replace the card anyway.. there may be a few games that may run into 4gb ram limit at highest settings , but by and large 4gb should be fine for most games at 1080p
this option seems fine if you aren't going to replace the card for a long time and want to stick with it for maximum duration , in that case you can choose 8gb

Personally i would go with Sapphire Pulse Rx 570 @ 15k and replace it sooner to get more performance/price..

Gigabyte gaming 3 should be ok with slight overclocks , if you want better audio and dual bios
but don't expect too much out of it...

you can ask RCuber , he is using one..

50K PC Upgrade for Gaming/Streaming - CPU+ RAM + MOBO

Last edited:

Randy_Marsh

Youngling
RX 570 @ 16.4k
RX 580 @ 19k

Both are 4GB variants, right?
If you want to keep your budget strict, I think you should go for RX 570. Reason being, the latest AAA titles usually utilize just above 3GB video memory. So, 4GB is sufficient for at least couple of years from now. Looking at the speed market evolves, 4GB would start becoming the problem by late 2018 or 2019. As RX 580 is having the same video memory, the problem would be visible in that card as well.
Taking about Performance, the difference is of 10% so its hardly noticeable.

Why not RX 580 8GB: The card is not good enough to withstand the advancements of upcoming 3-4 years from now. When the era of games using 6-8 GB video memory would come, the processing power of the card would have become outdated, so overall your outcome would be bad.

PS: My views are applicable if you want to run latest games at high/ultra always.

But yes, If you mod a lot using high textures, then 8GB variant may make sense.

OP
D

Digital Fragger

A Functioning God
@Vineet Sharma Thanks. I'll be going with RX 570 only. I'm waiting for RX 570 Nitro to come in stock. Folks at Vedant are confident they'll have it in stock within couple of days. Else I'll get the RX 570 Pulse.

Ram is becoming costly day by day and there seems to be no stopping till the end of the year. 3200Mhz RAM has increased by 1000 rupees within couple of weeks. I'm planning to get the 3000Mhz Ram. 16GB x 1 sticks are available at decent prices but 8GB x 2 kits are costly now. I've read having two channels is better than single. What do you guys suggest? Get the 3000Mhz 8GB x 2 or get the 3200 Mhz 16GB x 1 or 3200Mhz 8Gb x 2. Cost difference between 3000Mhz and 3200Mhz same kit is 1000.

Last edited:

gta5

Ambassador of Buzz
get 8 gb now.. next year there will be a big drop in price, buy it then.. you don't need 16 gb right now

OP
D

Digital Fragger

A Functioning God
get 8 gb now.. next year there will be a big drop in price, buy it then.. you don't need 16 gb right now
Hey my current laptop has 8GB ram and it hovers around 6.5 GB in Task Manager. I can get 3000Mhz 16GB now at 10.5k and I'm fine with it. Do you think getting 3200Mhz at 11.5k is worth it because I've been hearing Ryzen performs better with faster RAM.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Hey my current laptop has 8GB ram and it hovers around 6.5 GB in Task Manager. I can get 3000Mhz 16GB now at 10.5k and I'm fine with it. Do you think getting 3200Mhz at 11.5k is worth it because I've been hearing Ryzen performs better with faster RAM.
6.5GB on idle or multitasking? You could optimize it and free the ram up.

Get single 8 GB stick for now. Add another when needed.

OP
D

Digital Fragger

A Functioning God
Guys thanks for suggestions but I need 16GB Ram as I my Ram fills up 6.5-7 GB with my regular applications only while not gaming. Since I consider this as upgrade I'm looking for 16GB. I've asked my local dealer to price match the G.Skill 3200Mhz Ram on ITdepot in morning and he is sourcing a single 2x 8gb kit for a good price lower than ITDepot. I've called ITdepot to see if they can beat the price but they actually don't have them in stock though they show in the website. My monitor from ITdepot has arrived. The PSU, case and CPU from the dealer also arrived. Only thing pending now the graphic card from Vedant. Hope they hurry up. :)

Randy_Marsh

Youngling
I don't know the applications currently installed on your laptop, but 8 GB is fine for today's standards. I play latest AAA titles on 8 GB ram and none of them were able to fully utilize it.
However, if you have the money, you can certainly go for 16GB as I've heard by many youtubers that having 16GB gives you a little boost in terms of overall smoothness (for me, system on 8GB is still very smooth though). Rest is totally your call.

Now, things get tricky when it comes to RAM speed (3000 or 3200MHz). Question is: are you going to overclock? By default, I don't think the Ryzen 5 1600 supports anything beyond 2667 MHz RAM speed (it is surprising to know that AMD hasn't mentioned it on their website). If you are not going to overclock, there is no use of 3200MHz sticks because it would run underclocked.

OP
D

Digital Fragger

A Functioning God
@Vineet Sharma Hey yup I'm going to OC it to 3200Mhz. I've seen reports that people were successfully able to get to 3200Mhz on this particular model RAM G.Skill Tridentz F4-3200C16D-16GTZB on Gigabyte Gaming 3. So hopefully I'd be able to. :)

ssb1551

Technomancer
Now, things get tricky when it comes to RAM speed (3000 or 3200MHz). Question is: are you going to overclock? By default, I don't think the Ryzen 5 1600 supports anything beyond 2667 MHz RAM speed (it is surprising to know that AMD hasn't mentioned it on their website). If you are not going to overclock, there is no use of 3200MHz sticks because it would run underclocked.

@Vineet Sharma - I have already bought a 16GB module of Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (1 x 16 GB) 3000 MHz - CL15 [Model Number CMK16GX4M1B3000C15]. Any idea at what speed will it run if not overclocked (with a B350 MotherBoard and Ryzen 5 1600X)? that is I just plug in all the components and boot up

Randy_Marsh

Youngling
@ssb1551 I was trying to find the answer but couldn't. The AMD site has not mentioned supported speed on their website. However, on Gigabyte's site for supported mobo's, they have mentioned that after 2667MHz, speed may vary depending upon CPU. So I guess 2667MHz is the maximum possible speed on stock (without overclock).
Is your system up and running? If yes, you can check and let us know the speed. It is very easy to find via command box.

type "wmic memorychip get speed" in cmd. you'll get the actual MHz of all RAM sticks installed in the system.

screenshot of my official laptop:
upload_2017-5-23_11-5-6.png

ssb1551

Technomancer
^^ No I haven't bought the MotherBoard and CPU. CPU mainly because of cash (waiting for salary on June 1st :p hehe). MotherBoard - because I'm still looking for a decent MotherBoard without VRM temperatures issues. I have half a mind to go for X370 platform now because of the widesread VRM issue in almost all the B350 boards.

But I'll run the command as suggested by You once I assemble the System.

OP
D

Digital Fragger

A Functioning God
Guys vedant has MSI Armor RX 580 4GB for 17900 with tax. 2000 more than RX 570 Nitro, 3000 more than RX 570 Pulse. Seems like good price.. What do ya'll think? RX 570 Nitro they say will take 4-5 days more to arrive. Graphic card is the only pending item. :)

@gta5

Top Bottom