Antivirus Guide & User Reviews.

TigerKing

Wise Old Owl
Re: Antivirus Guide & User Reviews.

Bitdefender uses too much RAM.for firewall you can use comodo firewall but switch off HIPS use auto sandbox only.

i am using 8GB RAM.
I will turn off Bitdefender if RAM fully occupied. As of now everything is fine.
Comodo firewall is good. Only problem is that torrent speed decreases some time. I will try new version and those settings..
what about tinywall suggested above?

8MB isn't much. Atleast in my case.

not bitdefender av.
we are talking about bitdefender engine in "360 total security" software

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Tinywall is not exactly a separate firewall,it uses windows own firewall as basis & applies its own configuration & settings over it(hence the very small installer). That is why Tinywall will always run faster & smoother than a dedicated firewall like comodo.Windows firewall from Vista & above is actually very good,it is just that MS has turned down default security settings of windows firewall because of large no. of avg users. Tiny wall takes care of this by applying its own security settings.

ariftwister

Truth Seeker

i am using 8GB RAM.
I will turn off Bitdefender if RAM fully occupied. As of now everything is fine.
Comodo firewall is good. Only problem is that torrent speed decreases some time. I will try new version and those settings..
what about tinywall suggested above?

not bitdefender av.
we are talking about bitdefender engine in "360 total security" software

My bad.. What is the advantage to using 360 rather than a single AV ?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
First,you get to use bitdefender engine(with updates) for free. Second, you can use avira engine too in combination with bitdefender engine,though I recommend using one of them unless you actively search for viruses & malware.

TigerKing

Wise Old Owl

My bad.. What is the advantage to using 360 rather than a single AV ?

it's more like cloud or all in one security.
You get more protection if you use both virus engine avira and bitdefender. Also there are other good features, add ons.
Which keep your computer fast and healthy, no need to install other softwares. Check their site for more info.

andy_65_in

Padawan
Got a new KIS INTRRNET SECURITY cd from amazon.how to use the activation code of this cd to update my existing KIS alsofrm amazon which is expiring validity.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
If the CD version is newer than installed version then just run the setup & it should upgrade the installed version & then wait for installed version to expire.If CD version is older then simply wait for installed version to expire.After expiry of installed version,it should ask to re-enter activation code.

quicky008

Technomancer
from where can i get a 1 year license for Eset nod32 av for 1 pc at a reduced cost?At their official site,eset charges around rs 600 for it which is a bit on the higher side,is there any alternate(but reliable)source from where i can get the license key within 150-200 or thereabouts?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't think you can get it at this price from a "reliable source". A difference of 400 rupees for a year is not that much. You can save this amount by skipping a pizza or turning off cooler/ac for an extra hour a day for few weeks.

quicky008

Technomancer
I don't think you can get it at this price from a "reliable source". A difference of 400 rupees for a year is not that much. You can save this amount by skipping a pizza or turning off cooler/ac for an extra hour a day for few weeks.

I discovered that its available at sites like amazon,ebay etc for around Rs 200.Hopefully it wont be a dud as reputable sites like amazon usually dont deal in such items.

Last edited:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
It may not be a dud but it may also be not "authorized for sale".e.g.there are people who sell windows genuine keys meant for oem/students/got under some promotional offer etc online which are genuine but are not supposed to be sold to other individuals/persons.Most likely these keys work fine but in case of some technical support from the company there may be some situations where you might be asked about background of your key.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
from where can i get a 1 year license for Eset nod32 av for 1 pc at a reduced cost?At their official site,eset charges around rs 600 for it which is a bit on the higher side,is there any alternate(but reliable)source from where i can get the license key within 150-200 or thereabouts?

here :

ESET NOD32 Antivirus 1 PC, 1 Year CD: Amazon.in: Software

quicky008

Technomancer
^thanks for the link,i am gonna buy it from there shortly.I was using avast earlier but decided to switch to eset recently as the former has become rather bloated these days and frequently displays various irrelevant popups which prove to be a major annoyance.Also it was causing some issues that were affecting the overall stability of my system.

TigerKing

Wise Old Owl
^thanks for the link,i am gonna buy it from there shortly.I was using avast earlier but decided to switch to eset recently as the former has become rather bloated these days and frequently displays various irrelevant popups which prove to be a major annoyance.Also it was causing some issues that were affecting the overall stability of my system.
you can buy avira instead for better detection rate and system stability and speed..
KIS and BitDefender both use lot of resources..

quicky008

Technomancer
You should be worried about detection rate not about UI..

Performance-Test - AV-Comparatives

A product with a sub-par ui is often rather difficult to configure and use.If i'm going to spend money on something then why should i go for it when better alternatives are readily available?And the detection rate of AVs like ESET,avast etc is most certainly as good as that of avira(if not better).

TigerKing

Wise Old Owl
A product with a sub-par ui is often rather difficult to configure and use.If i'm going to spend money on something then why should i go for it when better alternatives are readily available?And the detection rate of AVs like ESET,avast etc is most certainly as good as that of avira(if not better).
It's totally upto you.. your choice..
If you're spending money then buy best AV.
KIS, Bitdefender are best paid AVs.
Avira, 360 are best too, if you don't want to spend.
Comparing those 4 all have good detection rate.

Top Bottom