Vegetarian vs Non- Vegetarian

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Let me give my two cents on this controversial issue. I am generally biased towards non-vegetarianism, therefore that would be reflected in my outlook in the below paragraphs.

A person's preference in food is a result of mental conditioning resulting from the environment that they have grown up in or the experiences that they have experienced over the years. This is not very different from a person's preference in ,say ,music. But this has nothing to do with belief or religion, just plain old conditioning. We adopt behaviour patterns and other habits, not from instinct but by watching others and our elders. Our family has as much effect on our behaviours, habits and preferences as much as peer pressure does. Aborigines in Australia are known to consume grub, Chinese people are known to consume Octopi and dogs, basically foods that fall outside an Indian's sensibility of food. But if an Indian were to consume those food, would there be any grievous harm? No. You may gag and puke, but eating dog meat won't kill you, neither would eating Octopus meat, at least not unless you have some form of severe allergy to such foods. Similarly, if you are a vegetarian and you were to consume non-vegetarian food at some point, nothing happens. If you feel bad about the animals killed for their meat, that is just you. Only one stopping you is you and not your religion, beliefs, or anyone else.

That being said, animal meat is just that: Proteins, a complex compound of carbon, hydrogen and oxygen among others. If you consume it, it helps build and maintain your body. If you choose not to consume it, no problem, its a free country. But if you are a vegetarian ask yourselves this, if you were born and brought up in a non-vegetarian household, would you be bashing non-vegetarian food and non-vegetarians right now? If you consider yourself lucky to be born in a vegetarian family, its actually just that, luck. It is luck that we are all born in our family, society, city, state or country. If your consciousness could have manifested anywhere in the world and you could have adopted the food of the place of our birth, so what is the importance of our preference of food in the grand scheme of things?

PS: I am generally targeting vegetarians here because most of them tend to judge non-vegetarians a little too harshly and I find myself most of the time defending myself against them. Also, it tends to be a one way argument since non-vegetarians also consume vegetarian food but generally it does not work the other way around.

PPS: This was written in a hurry so there might be logical fallacies, so point them out and I will clarify.
Just my two cents on this,I was born & brought up in a non-veg household & still never liked the taste of meat as a child so as soon as I got a choice I decided to leave it(still eat egg though as it taste good).:)

meetdilip

Computer Addict
India's contribution to modern science is almost nil & that's a fact.
"glorious past of Ayurveda"

Indians, during the time Western fair men arrived, were more civilized, advanced and rich than any other civilization in the world. We had everything indigenous.

known in the world as "generic drug makers"(a glorious term for copying the formula developed by someone else

Same reason why they wanted our markets open in 90s and does not wish to open their own job markets. They were the ones who pitched for open economy and market. We are behind today and slave to European science because we were a colony of an European country till last century. Even a good part of last century was gone in serving a single European nation.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Just my two cents on this,I was born & brought up in a non-veg household & still never liked the taste of meat as a child so as soon as I got a choice I decided to leave it(still eat egg though as it taste good).:)
And nothing wrong with that. Its better to know the full facts than be like "le vegetarian master race."

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Indians, during the time Western fair men arrived, were more civilized, advanced and rich than any other civilization in the world. We had everything indigenous.

Same reason why they wanted our markets open in 90s and does not wish to open their own job markets. They were the ones who pitched for open economy and market. We are behind today and slave to European science because we were a colony of an European country till last century. Even a good part of last century was gone in serving a single European nation.
And again I say be grateful that our markets opened in 90s.It is clear that you don't have what I call "an open mind" so let's end this discussion with a link & a quote from my side,I will not reply further in this regard.

Hindu rate of growth - Wikipedia

For those who believe, no explanation is necessary; for those who do not believe, no explanation is possible.

meetdilip

Computer Addict
Of course, you are motivated by some political scenario. I am not affiliated to any of those. I don't like when we buy everything foreign made and then those countries say " get of out of my country ". I certainly do not have such a broad mind. :)

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin

After WW1, Germany was impoverished, its infrastructure destroyed and they had accumulated a massive debt due to war reparations. However, in around 20 years they turned their economy around and became powerful enough once more to challenge global powers in WW2, all with little to no outside help.

We have been independent for close to 70 years and what have we done?

Edit: If you don't like the comparison with some European power, then compare ourselves to Japan. They were also beaten badly but are still a developed country today.

OP
Ronnie012

Ronnie012

Earthling
Of course, you are motivated by some political scenario. I am not affiliated to any of those. I don't like when we buy everything foreign made and then those countries say " get of out of my country ". I certainly do not have such a broad mind. :)
Fyki most of the products that you are using right now ( laptop, internet, earphones, shirt, pant, watches, mobile phone, medicines) etc. are foreign made.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
No more off-topic posts related to "glorious India's past & bullied India's present",stick to veg vs non-veg.
I just want to say that we are where we are because of politics, bureaucracy and corruption, but I digress.

On topic: I believe that vegetarianism is a luxury we have right now. If there were some hypothetically major food crisis, even the staunchest vegetarian will revert to baser instincts and turn to non-vegetarian food for sustenance. Hell, even non-vegetarians would turn to consuming meat such as dog meat in such a time.

OP
Ronnie012

Ronnie012

Earthling
I just want to say that wconsumption if animal mea we are because of politics, bureaucracy and corruption, but I digress.

On topic: I believe that vegetarianism is a luxury we have right now. If there were some hypothetically major food crisis, even the staunchest vegetarian will revert to baser instincts and turn to non-vegetarian food for sustenance. Hell, even non-vegetarians would turn to consuming meat such as dog meat in such a time.
Seconded.

2 cents of my own - Suppose a universal law is proposed banning consumption of animal meat all across the world? What will happen?

I think the number of carnivorous animals in this planet are not enough to consume tbe extra herbivorous animals saved as a result of the ban

The result would be ecological imbalance.

meetdilip

Computer Addict
This discussion is just like asking, which one is good, Congress or AAP. Both have solid supporters. Just ask ourselves, which one suites our ideology. There is no scope of veg diet in barren lands like desert or ice desert as in Europe.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
I am just saying that ideology does not matter because eating meat won't kill you. Its only choice.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
as per OP question none is better or none is bad.
both are equal I would say....and for this I don't need to put a scientific evidence to support.

Its just a coin with two sides as simple as that, and nature has created every opposite pairs if u notice.
+ve vs -ve
man vs women
day vs night
good vs bad
happiness vs sadness
veg vs non-veg
and its never ending

ratul

█████████████████
Says the imbecile who uses remarks like "dont poke your nose in others food smell" and "somebody would force meat down your throat" to put forward his views in an online forum-when one takes into account the puerile and ludicrous nature of your comments it doesn't take long to realize who the "troll" or "kid" is in this particular situation.And did you actually read my post thoroughly before advising me to refrain from poking my nose in others food and all that nonsense(thats assuming your mental faculties are in good working order and are not fickle or immature like that of a child,which may lead you to experience great difficulties even while performing basic tasks like reading a few lines of text written in simple english)?I was not referring to the smell of non-vegan foods,but to the sickly stench that emits from slaughterhouses-did that evade your notice by any chance or are you so daft that you didn't understand what i was saying??

And what do you mean by "you don't have any regards to anyone's opinion whatsoever"?The way i see it,you are the one who provoked me in the first place by posting an utterly offensive and inflammatory comment in response to a normal discussion that i was having with some other members about the abominable conditions that exist in slaughterhouses,which clearly proves that it is you who shows no consideration or regard for the opinions that are held by others,not me and it appears whenever you run into someone whose views don't exactly align with yours you try to subvert his activities by hurling insults and abuses at him,which speaks volumes about what kind of a person you really are.

Also if the brashness and insolence with which you've responded to my posts thus far are anything to go by,i'd say you're the one who considers himself to be a "priviledged " non-vegetarian,therefore consider ridding yourself of your own high-handedness and hypocrisy before you decide to go about leveling such baseless accusations at others.

And if you think you can force meat down my throat,you're more than welcome to give it a try-i can give you my solemnest assurance that its outcome will be very tragic indeed(for you,that is)and consequently you'll have to spend the rest of your life in a completely vegetative state!

First of all, your vocabulary is really good. But, throwing random english words doesn't make you right.
The frustration in this post is clearly visible, and shows who's the kid who can't take a sensible comment to his chest, instead just starts bashing left and right. Thanks for proving my point right. :rofl::flamethrower:

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
veg vs non-veg
TBH, veg vs non-veg is not really that black and white as your other examples. Herbivores and carnivores are polar opposite, but humans are Omnivores, even the vegetarians. Therefore, this is a grey area.

Chetan1991

Youngling
Seconded.

2 cents of my own - Suppose a universal law is proposed banning consumption of animal meat all across the world? What will happen?

I think the number of carnivorous animals in this planet are not enough to consume tbe extra herbivorous animals saved as a result of the ban

The result would be ecological imbalance.

You're joking, right?
Most of the animals non-vegetarians are eating are not hunted from the wild. They are bred in mostly horrible conditions.
Ergo there will be not ecological imbalance as a result, only less suffering, less water pollution and less erosion.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
You're joking, right?
Most of the animals non-vegetarians are eating are not hunted from the wild. They are bred in mostly horrible conditions.
Ergo there will be not ecological imbalance as a result, only less suffering, less water pollution and less erosion.
If all those animals meant for human consumption are left open in the wild, there will be imbalance.

Chetan1991

Youngling
If all those animals meant for human consumption are left open in the wild, there will be imbalance.

I never said that. Someone is trying to create an argument out of thin air.... :fc_bat:
Not that it really needs to be said, I meant when you stop breeding them and close shop when they are all dead, then there will be no ecological imbalance.

OP
Ronnie012

Ronnie012

Earthling
You're joking, right?
I think I mentioned "Saved" i.e. Closing shop without killing the animals. This would lead to surplus animals

Top Bottom